1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Augusta National He-Man Woman Haters Club Masters Dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 28, 2012.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hondo's identity has been revealed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Are you shitting me?

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

But their female relatives can play!

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agree 1000 percent. Consider the changes that have happened under Payne's watch, the most recent ones allowing a video game to use Augusta National and selling some single-day tournament tickets to the general public in a lottery. Add in televising the par-3 tournament. Those were all unheard-of concepts even 10 years ago.

If they don't admit a female member under Payne, they never will.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I clicked this thread to read hondo's annually pathetic defense of a pathetic institution. As usual, hondo the hick did not disappoint. Now if only them dark people would disappear, hondo would be really happy.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Payne was an organizer behind the most female-friendly Olympics to that point in history, so I'll concur.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What always blows my mind about Augusta National is the schizophrenia. They continue this useless and harmful bigotry, yet if you attend the Masters, they put on the most fan and media-friendly major sports event I've ever experienced, and go out of their way to make it so.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I really think Payne will make it happen and that will be that. But will he announce it during his Wednesday press conference and let that take the headlines over the golf? Maybe not. But then his job is to not look stupid when the media pushes him on it at that presser. Fortunately for the club, he's light years ahead of Hootie Johnson in the diplomacy department.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The press is in a tough position here, particularly those writers who angle for the coveted Monday tee times and know Augusta will knock them out for unflattering coverage. It's quite a conflict of interest but one that has gone on for decades through all sorts of other ethical crackdowns.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, of course they do. The nicer they are to the press and the longer they offer tee times for Monday, the less likely Augusta is the subject of unflattering coverage.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bryant Gumbel is a member, so hypocrisy is only a sand wedge away.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Here's what I can't get past ... it's a private club.

Draft saved Draft deleted