1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Augusta National He-Man Woman Haters Club Masters Dilemma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 28, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It's a good one this year. Augusta National always invites the CEOs of the Masters major sponsors, currently Exxon, AT&T, and IBM, to join the club.

What to do about new IBM CEO Ginny Rometty?

Can't wait.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-28/golf-s-masters-facing-male-only-dilemma-with-new-ibm-ceo.html

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This would be a perfect way for the club to end this silly self-created dilemma. So it won't happen. And then the other two CEOs are going to be on a spot they really won't like and will blame the club for.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They'll let her play, but only if she pees standing up.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My one "insider" who has covered that "tuneamint" a few times has told me that if anyone is gonna' break the gender barrier there it's going to be Billy Payne.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

They'll do the same thing they've done for the last 80 years; ignore her. It also was a tradition to invite presidents of the USGA to become members; someone go ask Judy Bell if perhaps she thinks her invitation got lost in the mail.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think you're 100% correct. I just like hearing those constipated flaccid musty crypt-keepers explain their decrepit grip on the sanctity of testicles.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's their crypt and they take no public dollars (and before you jump on "well, the public is admitted the week of the tournament") women have always been allowed to purchase tickets. Also, the wives and other female relatives of club members can play. Also, they invite the women's teams of Augusta State and South Carolina to play there once a year.
    They're not as much in the stone age as you think.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Oh yes, they are.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but of all the great things in that sentence, "musty" might be my favorite. Well, that and sanctity of testicles.

Wetzel wrote about it too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=dw-wetzel-august-national-masters-women-032812

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I know Augusta's a nice horse to shoot, but I find this one considerably more offensive considering the amount of political clout the place has roaming the halls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Tree_Club

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You're really going to resort to this as an example of non-discriminatory conduct? That's about as good as letting the caddies play the course.

Draft saved Draft deleted