1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annoying thing No. 37

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Jul 16, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

It'll list his height, just not his stats.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

People need to go back to talking about "fielding" if they're going to talk baseball. Screw "defense" -- that's for football and basketball.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Isn't it enough that we've got an entire thread devoted to Uggla's poor play, Zeke? Must we keep raking him?

He tries, Zeke. Let him be.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does he understand that's subjective?

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Tell him it might seem like his kid is a good fielder, but until he can produce Johnny's expected runs cost/saved relative to the average fielder number, you ain't putting it in the agate page.

http://stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~stjensen/research/safe.html

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I got the stupidest e-mail from a parent the other day. A game went 6 innings, I wrote "Starter Stephens lasted five innings and allowed 4 runs" and the parent goes "Starter Stephens was relieved by Johnny Jerkoff in the 6th inning". I wrote her back and said that I didn't say that SS lasted all game. I forget the rest, I'm kinda drunk.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We had 47 swim team photos that the swim club wanted us to put in the paper last year (not, 47, obviously, but a number too high to print even over a number of issues). So we printed the two or three youngest age groups in the paper and directed people to the web site for the rest (including the ones we already ran since the ones on the web were in color while the print ed was B&W that day).

Not good enough, of course. Why? Because "a lot of the grandparents don't have the Internet." So print off a copy of the page and give it to your technologically-impaired grandparents and leave me alone.

My dad, who's 63, knows more about computers and the Internet than I do, so age is no excuse for not being able to check your grandkids' pics on the website.

8. bueller

bueller Member

Long ago, in a far off land, a mom blistered me in a voice mail. "How dare you call my daughter a losing pitcher?"

Mom continued with, in this order, how well her daughter threw and how hard she worked and how devastated she was at being called such a bad thing and, of course, how bad the umpire was.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I've had a parent get upset at me that I wrote that his son, the pitcher, was the hard-luck loser after the kid pitched a complete game and lost 1-0, giving up the run on three hits with a walk and nine strikeouts.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, I think a note from Buckweaver would suffice just as well.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lady, she wasn't just A losing pitcher. She was THE losing pitcher....

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm not sure how much a lot of people understand the "objective thing." They only talk about it when it's about politics and Sean Hannity tells them to.

That said, I couldn't help thinking: If this is only Annoying Thing No. 37, man, you must have gotten into the business like last Tuesday.

Draft saved Draft deleted