1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annoying commercials revisited

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Msaint

Msaint Member

Too many bad ones to list (e.g. the abomination of Nigel Tufnel selling out for VW; the "isn't it great to be so rich that we're able to give each other red-bow-wrapped $65,000 cars for Xmas?!" spots; and anything with a "jellin'" rhyme). But if we're talking good, I just saw one of the best anti-smoking ads ever -- a singing cowboy rides through Times Square on a horse, hunkers down next to a campfire just like the rugged ol' Marlboro man and then...starts singing a folk song with one of those tracheotomy voiceboxes, lyrics like “you don’t always die from tobacco/sometimes then just cut a hole in your neck/you don’t always die from tobacco/sometimes they just cut out your tounge.” You're sorta smiling at the reaction of the onlookers until you hear the message, and then it's shiver time.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Those awful "Wing Rib Man" radio spots about vanity license plates.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

There's something on now with some dude in an indiscernable accent babbling on about what I can only guess is frequent flier miles. Has his kid (?) turning an old manual scoreboard, racking up his numbers while he sleeps on the plane. Killick's response?
    S.T.F.U.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Actually saw my most hated one last night during The Simpsons.

Sierra Mist. The stupid bitch at the airport security that "beeps" and "boops" with her mouth to indicate that the guy has a weapon on him.

To think someone actually got paid to come up with that shit.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

See the Citibank references earlier in the thread.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Isn't that Kathy Griffin?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes is it, along with Jim Gaffigan and Michael Ian Black.

They came up with some good ones for the Mist before Griffin stuck her nose into the group.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have similar feelings about those commercials.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Interesting critique of these commercials; they're directed by the writer-director of Napoleon Dynamite: http://www.slate.com/id/2155253/fr/rss/

Draft saved Draft deleted