1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annoying co-worker problems, please help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DannyDennett, Jun 20, 2007.

1. DannyDennett

DannyDennett New Member

I've been at my current job for about 18 months.

After a year of working at my current office, which is a very small office -- a subsidiary of a larger Gannett paper -- a fellow reporter left for greener pastures. That reporter was well-liked and very proficient. She was a team-player and I really hate that term.

So in comes this replacement reporter from radio, sports talk radio at that. He couldn't hack it having to sell ads and banter on all day on the radio, so we got him. He is 23 years old and I don't think he has ever had a real job before.

He is loud, he never shuts up, he has an annoying south-of-New-Orleans accent, if you know what I mean. He never does any work, well except for his obligatory one story that takes him three weeks to complete. He tells everyone in the office (all 14 of us) everyone else's problems and deepest secrets. He has an annoying wife that calls him every five minutes to check up on him. His wife also insists on playing matchmaker for all the single guys in the office, even though the single guys don't want to be set up with some fat, ugly friend or sister of hers.

This feeble reporter says he has a master's degree in journalism, but later it's history. He says he went to Loyola-New Orleans, and later he says he went to UNO. I don't believe he ever went to college because he's just kind of stupid.

He cannot focus on work; and I didn't believe ADHD was real until I met this dude. He talks about himself constantly, usually telling everyone how great he is, and he has a Napoleon complex since he's 5-feet tall and weighs about 100 pounds. When myself and everyone else in news, including our editor, approached him about his annoying behavior, he argued about it at first, then laughed it off as if we were playing an office prank on him. Our confrontations with him have been unproductive.

This guy has no concept of deadlines. He has no social graces, oftentimes eating barbeque at his desk and then licking his fingers. He has no sense of urgency on anything. He blows off important meetings that we are supposed to cover. He often takes 3 hour lunch breaks at his wife's request.

This has been going on nearly a year now. My editor says he was offered the job because three qualified applicants turned down the offer. This is a Gannett paper and no one gets fired unless they plagiarize or the company downsizes.

Please help. How do you deal with a work of art like this idiot? Does anyone have any similar stories like this one? I'm near 40 years old, and I've had many jobs. Every office has that annoying person, but this dude takes the cake.

2. 1. Tell him General Mills is casting for a new Lucky Charms commercial.

2. Tell him there's an opening in the boys department at Sears that he might be interested in since he could utilize the employee discount to expand his wardrobe (surely he needs some new shirts after eating all that barbeque).

3. DannyDennett

DannyDennett New Member

Oh get this, dude, this co-worker is a big karate fan. He goes to some karate shop in town, and then comes to work the next day and tells everyone how great he is. He's the next Jackie Chan.

One day he comes in with a video and shows to everybody at work. He won some kind of tournament not too long ago. Get this, though, he fights people his size, so consquently he's kicking butt on 9 and 10 year old little kids. We all rolled when we saw that video, and then the guy said we were mean to laugh at him.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Two to the chest, one to the head.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Q: What does the "N" in UNO stand for?

A: Nowledge.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Same thing with the N on the Nebraska helmets

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was thinking 'Nucklehead.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What, pray tell, is wrong with eating barbecue at your desk and licking your fingers.

Leave your hard-working co-worker alone, Mr. Anal.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Maybe a nice, anonymous note?
    http://annoyingcoworker.com

Draft saved Draft deleted