1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annoying Buzz at World Cup Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Speaking of a continuous 2 hour drone, doesn't Dick Vitale bother you people?

I've heard the horns before at international soccer games. It's what they do. Vitale I can't stand.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

No, it's selling a plan to a public that normally wouldn't agree to bad fan policy and is now resisting the urge to beat the hell out of the Gabriel wannabe seated next to him.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I understand fans' consternation with these things, but it's irksome to see coaches and athletes at the sport's highest level complain about so many things they can't control.

The horns. The ball (Martin Rogers actually blamed the ball for the Algerian keeper's gaffe, while ESPN tried to say that the ball was responsible for the Paraguay goalie missing the punch on Italy's goal-scoring cross. Um, maybe dudes just got beat? It happens).

And now, the playing surface.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9GBORB00.htm

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I agree with you completely.

I’m no fan of the horns but I don’t really care one way or the other anymore. The other complaints absolutely bother me as I’m pretty sure both teams are playing on the same surface with the same ball.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And it's a ball that MLS has apparently been playing with all season. Have they had a lot of complaints?

I wonder if any adidas teams have complained, or if it's just the Nike people. Hmmm . . .

[/conspiracytheorist]

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don’t recall a lot of complaints about the ball, but there was a comment that I’m aware of (55')…

It wouldn’t surprise me if Nike people were complaining. But, overall, I think a lot of the complaints are just preset excuses for the errant pass or shot. This way, they can later claim that a good shot was after overcoming the grand obstacle of the ball…

8. mb

mb Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

love the fark threads

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Again, I love the suggestion something can't have African roots or be part of African culture because someone had one in SoCal in the 1960s and someone else recalls them from Montreal in the 1980s.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The Germans didn't have problems scoring four goals with it .... mmmmmm.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It'd be like if the U.S. gets the 2018 Cup and they play music from Miley Cyrus and Brittney Spears' daughters so loud that you can't hear anyone chant or sing. Can't imagine that would fly as "tradition".

Don't mind the vuvuzelas during South African matches, but bothered by them more when other teams are playing because their fans (and ours) get drowned out, and one of the niftier aspects of the Cup is washed about becaBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a frickin' noisemaker.

Can a noisemaker be "cultural"?

This reminds me of the scene from the Matthew Perry/Salma Hayek movie Fools Rush In.

The families are meeting for the first time and not getting along.

Hayek's father:

Perry's father:

Draft saved Draft deleted