1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annoying Buzz at World Cup Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

vuvuzela is a fun word.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There is this thing called noise pollution.

I'm guessing FIFA wouldn't allow carbon monoxide to be pumped into stadiums in the name of "cultural identity."

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey Luggy show us your vuvuzelas.

Sound has kind of grown on me. It reminds me of the screams you hear in Midnight Express or the yodeling at a downhill ski race. Sound give you one more flavor of a country.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

What bugs me is it doesn't seem to have any connection to anything happening on the field.

Doesn't matter if it's good play or bad play, an exciting or boring game, or who is winning, it's just the same endless monotonous drone. I might find the vuvuzelas less annoying if I understood their purpose.

5. African revenge for the slave trade

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But it's not an instrument. It's a noisemaker. No better than the dumb things people hand out on New Year's Eve.

7. Boom_70

Sound is continuous which says a lot about African lung capacity. No wonder why they are such great marathoners.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It falls somewhere between "Rock & Roll Part 2" and "Who let the dogs out?" as far as stadium atmosphere I could live without.

"Final Countdown" is the only stadium "anthem" I ever really liked. But I probably would have got sick of it had it been 1/10th as ubiquitous as "da da da da da HEY!"

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Africa's answer to Thunderstix.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. But as much as some fans might like Thunderstix, no one would argue that they're a "musical instrument" or have some cultural significance.

Now, if you want to argue that they've become tradition in South Africa and they want to keep them, fine.

But, don't act like we're not respecting your culture if we don't like these noisemakers.

11. Boom_70

Next up Rally Monkeys

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's all about having the slow-twitch lungs.

Draft saved Draft deleted