1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annoying Buzz at World Cup Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm never overly inspired to watch soccer, but I had some interest in this year's World Cup. Unfortunately, I'm one of those "high sensory" people, and I absolutely can't stand the buzz from those horns. I had to turn off the sound, which further puts a dent in my attention span.

Any thought that this noise might affect TV ratings and/or interest?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Down in the cafeteria at work this morning, they had the World Cup on the radio. Everyone was looking around wondering where the beehive was. Terrible.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

OK - so a search of Google News, and it looks like a ban is still being considered.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Vuvuzelas-might-yet-be-banned-from-World-Cup?urn=sow,247947

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

One can only hope. It makes watching it a terrible chore, and I love watching the WC.

5. mb

mb Active Member

You'll take my vuvuzela from my cold, dead hands. I think they're great.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hate the vuvuzelas, but it's interesting, my South African friends are really wondering what the fuss is about. When I complained the first day on facebook, a friend from South Africa wrote something like, "It's an African instrument. The games are being played in Africa. Get over it."

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

After the Confederations Cup last year, I am used to it. Don't even notice it any more.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but after about 30 seconds of watching it fades into the background and you don't notice anymore.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

African Instument, Is that like Mr. Oden's Opus?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Blatter said today they won't be banned.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I get used to them after a minute or two, but they are unbelievably annoying.

If you're at the games, I'm guessing the only way to not go insane with rage at the noise is to buy one of those damn things and join the crowd. I'd be pissed if a flew halfway around the world to watch the World Cup during my vacation and I had listen to that all game long.

Draft saved Draft deleted