1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Announcing/writing pet peeve

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, May 19, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

What if you go back in time to the point of the sensational diving catch, but Smith sees you knocking Tigers shortstop Jim Johnson to the ground. The sudden realization that time travel is in fact very possible makes him stop in his tracks after rounding first base, and he is thrown out by an alert left fielder unfazed by the time machine parked in front of him.

Do you rule this a base hit? To me, you can't score an error on a play in which a reasonable defensive effort would have been made, had it not been stopped by a time traveler. Just a personal preference.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not a complete pet peeve, but I've always been on the fence about writing "respectively", as in "At Indy 500 Pole Day, Helio Castroneves and Ryan Briscoe qualified first and second, respectively." The word practically begs you to go back and reread the sentence; I think readers get it.

Hearing that same sentence on radio/tv seems even sillier to me.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What if a Romulan ship comes back in time and zaps Jim Johnson just before he fields the ball because Nero had Smith on his fantasy team and would have won the championship if Smith had that one more hit? Smith gets his hit, and the game ends because the SS has been killed on the field by Romulans and everyone freaks out and runs away. Smith is a perfect 4-for-4.

4. Someone should say, "Smith and Johnson came first and second, irrespectively."

For fun.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Another unrelated peeve:

From PFT today: Cowboys’ DeCamillis Is A Trooper

Guy ain't pulling people over for doing 70 in a 55. He's a trouper. Look it up.

6. CCaple

CCaple Member

This one applies to broadcasters, but it drives me absolutely insane when there's a foul late in a basketball game, committed by the team that is leading, and the broadcaster says, "Oh, no, they fouled him and now he has a chance to score with no time running off the clock."

Um. So?

If he dribbles down the floor with 20 seconds left and drives to the rim and scores, he scored two points. And there are still 20 seconds left.

If he dribbles into the lane and gets hammered with 20 seconds left, and makes two free throws, he scored two points. And there are still 20 seconds left.

It's not like when you get fouled, you just get to go to the line and jack up as many free throws as you want with no time running off the clock.

Granted, there are situations when this kind of thing makes sense, like if you foul a guy 40 feet from the hoop with 32 seconds left on the shot clock, or something. But it's usually said when a guy takes the ball to the rim and gets fouled on the shot. It makes no sense. No time runs off the clock on ANY act of scoring (OK, a tenth of a second or two), if you're referring to the literal act of the ball going through the hoop.

7. That's a good one, too.

These things are passed down from generation to generation, and nobody questions them.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tuffy Rhodes is on pace to hit 486 home runs this season.

And I'm on pace to live forever.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That is all.

If that is all, why are we still talking here?

Not a shot at you, young sirvaliant. Others have felt my wrath on this, too.

That is all means that is all and clearly that isn't all here.
    Even if that is all means that is all from YOU - you are still commenting.
    Obviously, that ain't all.

2:10 left to go in the half.
    It is either 2:10 left or 2:10 to go.

Past history. Show me future history and then we'll talk.
    Descending downward as in, "His ERA has been descending steadily downward since a rough first start."
    I have yet to see anything descend upward.

Drowned to death. If you drown, you are dead.
    8 a.m. in the morning. Really?

I could go on.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

The three most useless words in that sentence!

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, not only is "perfect" uselsss, it's probably wrong unless he got fouir hits on four pitches. If he swung and misssed twice each at bat, he sure wasn't perfect.

And from the pitcher's side, I hate it when guys right "the only mistake he made was a hanging curve that Smith hit for a three-run homer."
    What! How did those two guuys get on base? And he might have made 15 mistake pitches that didn't get hit.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

"And after three innings, there is no score."

Yes, you idiot, there IS a score: 0-0. There's a difference between "no score" and "there's been no scoring."

I swear one day I'm going to hear this and it's going to cause me to yank the damn radio out of the console and toss it out on the interstate so a couple of semis can have their way with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted