1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Announcement at 4 pm re UAB Football reinstatement.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jun 1, 2015.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Some of the kids that left are at even better spots now, like SEC schools. I'd say all this worked out pretty well for them.

I'm happy for the players and coaches, and maybe all this attention will make UAB football a bit more high profile in the state than it has been. I doubt it in the long run given the size, success and draw of mighty Bama and Auburn.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Maybe they could schedule Iowa State and beat them in both money sports this year.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probably not, but what if you had really liked it there?

The NCAA will catch ten tons of public relations shit if they don't allow it.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like the NCAA really cares about PR shit.

The only thing that's made them care in the past 70 years have been the recent lawsuits.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they try to prevent any players who transferred out from transferring back in, if they so desire, I would think there'd be a dandy lawsuit for damaging the player's academic progress and chances for success.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Speaking of lawyers and lawsuits and sports, if UAB reinstates football, might that open them up for a lawsuit against THEM (UAB, maybe the BoT too), for the program having been shutdown on false pretenses in the first place? Seems like a lot of players' lives have been disrupted over all this nonsense. Sounds ripe for some ambulance chasing lawyers to go hog wild.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, they're not going to have a team this year, so any such decision would probably be a year away.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

9. exmediahack

So they gave themselves the Death Penalty for a year.

Shit, Kansas, Indiana, Purdue, Tulane and Kentucky should do the same thing for a year.

Shut it down and get a new staff and players.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Add exmediahack to the list of people inexplicably giving Mike London a pass.

11. exmediahack

The fact that UVA Football never even crossed my mind says more about UVA Football than me. :)

Big Circus and Vombatus like this.
  12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I don't know, it would seem to me to be the same as an at-will employee. I'd think that they could shut down the program for virtually any reason in the world, and the players wouldn't have any recourse. There's no legal guarantee that you will have a football program at a school.

Then again, I'm no lawyer and may not know a thing about which I'm talking.

Draft saved Draft deleted