1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annnnnnd...Hiller's out at LAT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by westcoastvol, Jul 14, 2008.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I can't define a corporate functionary and empty suit, but I know one when I see one.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Least. Surprising. News. Ever.
    This, coupled with the news out of Chicago, just indicates that more resignations are coming.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And, on a related topic, from the TellZell blog, which is a particularly angry and hard-hitting read today:

http://www.tellzell.com/2008/07/black-monday.htm

The couple of comments are worth noting, too. So bad, and sad.

And I can't help but wonder what Hiller's severance package will be like.

(Note: The bad link above is fixed two posts down. My apologies to all).

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Link to TellZell doesn't work.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Sorry, Sock...

Try this one.

http://www.tellzell.com/2008/07/black-monday.html

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Deleting the publisher's salary should save at least 10 jobs, even at LAT pay rates. (blue font)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

first poster was right.. what about the WARN Act. Isn't that above and beyond the call for the severance package too?

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Figure this is a good place and time to remind us all about this guy, the former Tribune Co. CEO:

Tribune’s FitzSimons Resigns As Zell Takeover Nears; Funding Not Yet Finalized
    By David Kaplan - Wed 19 Dec 2007 10:24 AM PST

Tribune Company Chairman and CEO Dennis FitzSimons is expected to resign as early as today, according to the company’s LAT. The Chicago Tribune reports that the timing depends on the funding, which is going down to the wire. Lots more in extended entry…

FitzSimons’ departure is not a surprise, as the company prepares to go private under new chairman Sam Zell by the end of this week. After 25 years at Tribune, FitzSimons could leave with $40 million, depending the timing of his exit. His severance package could reach $10.7 million, with stock options and restricted stock worth $6.9 million. FitzSimons could also receive a $4 million payment to cover his taxes on the rest of the package. FitzSimons, who became CEO in 2003 and chairman in 2004, also owned 498,202 shares as of March 31, worth $16.9 million at the price of $34 a share under the Zell buyout.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or is tellzell.com down?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted