1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anniversary Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 11, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, you don't have to talk about it in person if you post on Facebook and Twitter, especially not if you change your profile picture. That's what passes for a "fitting tribute" these days. Something that requires no effort whatsoever.

"Today I honor the victims, our brave soldiers and the heroes who go in when everyone else goes out." Really? By posting on Facebook? You want to honor them, go donate blood. Go volunteer at a VA hospital. DO something.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's the difference between small talk in the break room, small talk on the phone or small talk on Twitter?

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

More people get to join the conversation on Twitter.

This take on social media is brought to you by the year 2008.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

No difference where the conversation takes place, because stupid, shallow people talk about stupid, shallow things, like the Kardashians or other pop "news" of little real relevance. If you let social media or the water cooler dictate the coverage, you're a tabloid.

Edit to add: I've also had complaints from old timers about why don't we do a story about Flag Day. Really, Flag Day? But God forbid we didn't at least put a teaser on A1 to shut the geezers up.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything about it dictating coverage. Just that small talk is small talk is small talk.

But Salman Rushdie tweets, and Margaret Atwood tweets and Barack Obama and Stephen Hawking and Cornell West al tweet, so it's not all gossip and recipes and garter snapping, either

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You're doubling back on your ignorant rant? This is hopeless. Keep posting. It's hilarious.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I really try to make an effort to get substantive discussion and debate going on Facebook. I get 100 times more response if I post a picture of my dog in Christmas antlers.

I don't think people are necessarily shallow. I think they're scared to death of jumping into the lion's den. Even though I can't once remember one of my Facebook threads devolving into anything uncivil. My friends, both in the business and out, never cease to amaze me with their insights and ability to express them.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Measuring people's interest. Ok.
    I don't think it measures squat in terms of people's interest in news.

I am not seeing a difference. People want to read about what they talk about.

If you want to see substantive discussions on facebook (I do not use twitter that much.), feel free to go to my facebook feed at Bill Toscano. It's the one with the icon of a New York license plate.

We've had some pretty good give-and-takes going, including on this topic.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Paranoia strikes deep on Facebook. It's this place times 100 -- I'd love to talk politics or "real issues" on there and I think 95 percent of it would be fine, but I have a turd of a cousin who ruins every attempt. I once de-friended him, but that really isn't the right response because we are close family. So the only other option is to just say no.

I bet just about everyone has a similar setup in whatever group they've formed.

Draft saved Draft deleted