1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anniversary Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 11, 2012.

1. I understand the need for people to grieve, but as a journalist, the need - or drive might be better word - to rehash 9/11 every year is really more than I can stand.

It's the 11th anniversary. The New York paper's are treating it like any other day.
    Our ad department wanted to do a tab. Because we did one last year that sold really well.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Changed my mind after looking at all those fronts......not a good look for the NYT. All the others in the NY/NJ found a way to make it news with the memorial. So many not connected to NY had it, Boston Globe comes to mind.

If you're going to downplay it and take the move on stand, I'd put some kind of small tease or bug or something like the Wash Post did. They really needed the Male Plumage or whatever that says instead?

Personally I tend to agree about anniversary journalism and all, but reading my social media feeds today it seem like everyone's mind is on 9/11. Ignoring it is sort of tone deaf.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10 was a milestone anniversary. 11? Not so sexy.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The fact that the actual date of this anniversary is used as shorthand for it seems to separate it from other famous anniversaries, like Dec. 7. Would a paper not have a Fourth of July reference on A1? The NYT omission is glaring. Two Chicago teacher stories - which, granted, is a very important story - but no 9/11 story? There's not a news peg of some sort they could have used? Hard to believe.

And this is from someone who doesn't exactly love the shameless profundity competition going on right now on Facebook and Twitter.
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Knock knock...

Who's There?

9/11 who?

But you said you would never forget.
  6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

OK. I laughed. Hell, party of one.

This is my main irritation on 9/11, and why I for the most part stay off of social media on this day.

All the people who didn't lose anyone that day, who maybe have visited New York City once in their lives. Yet they feel the need to produce some screed about their own experiences that day, and "never forget" and all that.

"I was at work in Ohio. We watched on TV. What a tragic day!"

"I was in college in Nebraska. Couldn't believe the teacher held class. We were all so scared we were gonna get hit!"

"I'm from Wyoming. We all lost our innocence that day!"

All of the people who ran through dust clouds that day, or who had a relative in one of the towers, scoff at this foolishness. They lived it. Don't insult them. Don't minimize their grief by artificially concocting some of your own.

Put more simply: I was living in SoCal at the time. There is no way I can approach someone who actually experienced that day (whether through losing a loved one or being in NYC), look them in the eye, and say, "Yeah, that was such a tough day for all of us!"
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anniversaries are the most overdone and useless part of journalism. I'll always believe there was a meeeting at the New York Times on Sept. 12, 2001, to discuss how they'd handle the paper of Sept. 11, 2002.

That said, if the idea of the paper is to reflect what's on the minds of the community, it's hard to believe there were six or eight other events or issues that were of more interest to the readership today.
  8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not that this is a regional tragedy by any stretch, but I can't imagine people having a problem if the NYC papers made a bigger deal out of it than other papers do...

I'm not a fan of anniversary journalism on any level, but as you said, I seriously doubt there are six more important stories than this to most New Yorkers.
  9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Was just talking about that this morning. I can see arguments either way. We celebrate birthdays and anniversaries every single year (one person I know celebrates the anniversary of his divorce every year ... calls it Freedom Day). So if people want to commenorate, fine with me.

But I also get the argument that it's old news. We've seen it all, heard it all 1,000 times by now. If it helps someone to get back to "normal", that's fine with me, too.
  10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Even on the 10th anniversary last year, trying to localize stories in middle-of-nowhere Idaho was stretching the concept of anniversary journalism. But, hey, if advertising can sell a tab, who am I to get in the way of the bottom line?
  11. Joe Lapointe

Joe Lapointe Member

I don't mind "anniversary journalism" most of the time. Even stuff like the Titanic. For some people (kids, if they still read papers) it's their first exposure to historic events. And sometimes anniversary journalism is a heck of a lot better than other stuff in the paper or on the web site that day. I listened this morning to the NBC coverage from 11 years ago. No TV reporter did a better job than Katie Couric, who was calm but grave, the perfect tone. Damn, she was good.
  12. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

My parents weren't in Dealey Plaza in Dallas, so when my mom told me about how she remembers them breaking into her Topeka, Kan. elementary school class with an announcement, I told her to shut the fuck up.
Draft saved Draft deleted