1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anniston cuts 10 percent of staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Nov 21, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:49 AM CST
    Anniston Star cuts 10 percent of work force
    Birmingham Business Journal - by Cindy F. Crawford Staff

The difficult economy has taken its toll on another Alabama newspaper.

The Anniston Star, owned by Consolidated Publishing Co., laid off about 15 employees, or 10 percent of its work force Wednesday, with cuts hitting all divisions of the newspaper – including the newsroom, company officials said.

In a memo to employees, Chairman and Publisher H. Brandt Ayers and President Phillip A. Sanguinetti said, "It was painful for our family and the board to make decisions we wouldn't have even contemplated in the past, but we cannot survive on continued losses."

Anniston’s announcement is not the only one of its kind in Alabama. In July, the Birmingham News offered employees buyouts to trim its payroll by as much as 80 people as the economy chips at newspaper circulation and advertising revenue.

In a story in The Anniston Star Thursday, the paper said newspapers across the country are trimming staff, with one estimate saying more than 6,000 newspaper staffers have lost their jobs in the past year.

The family-owned Star marked its 125th anniversary this summer.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wonder how many newspapers made 10 percent cuts just because ... everybody else is doing it. I'm serious.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Some people on the board share the sentiment, Fredrick. Basically, the belief by these same people is that some beancounters have been anxious to do this for years. With the economy in the toilet, this is the time to do it if you believe those sorts.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Rick Bragg's old paper, correct?

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's amazing what beancounters will do to get their own 3 percent raises. I mean 30 percent raises. Amazing how publishers don't realize just one person per paper pretty much has ruined the business.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good friend of mine left there during past year and went to cyberspace.
    He's still writing lots, thank goodness.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If Anniston says it is hurting for cash, I believe them. Family-owned shop that has busted ass over the years to cover way more stuff than anyone has a right to expect from a 25k rag.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That's right.
    They covered the shit out of colleges and 100 (I exaggerate) prep schools.
    Hell, they had three beat writers - one for Aubie, Ala, and Jacksonville State.
    Amazing that papers try to do so much. Spread the talent ragged and offer little help on desk, most nites.
    Terrible morale at some of these shops, as a result.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So who got cut from editorial? Anyone from sports?

Draft saved Draft deleted