1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annie's mailbox

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by proudpittsburgher, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Many did. Landers took great public pride in ferreting some of them out.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The Marilyn vos Savant column in Parade is something else too. I can understand throwing hard-ass riddles at her and her world-record IQ, but you've also got people asking for advice on personal matters, since higher IQ clearly means a deeper understanding of the human soul.

And I don't care what kind of mathematician or computer program backs her up and calls me wrong: I still think the Monty Hall problem is total bullshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

going on the possibility that this is a true story ...

1. Yes, working out naked in front of your young child, daughter or son, is messed up.

2. If you have this machine at home, who cares what your workout clothes look like?

2a. If you are working out for exercise and not some effort to be seen, even if at a public gym, who cares what your workout clothes look like?

3. Get some clothes you like.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

We actually had a discussion about that when the movie 21 came out. I didn't get it at first either but now I understand it.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/60098/

This was the best explanation on that thread:

5. Gotta admit I have a guilty pleasure in reading advice columns. They (usually) make me feel better about my life.

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I remember back when Ann Landers was pre-dead, at my first shop we had to lay out the comics with the Landers column. One of them, and the one that convinced me they were made up, was from a woman whose daughter wanted to attend a naked slumber party. A house full of naked teenage girls? Had to be a perv somewhere thinking that one up. Try writing a family-friendly headline for that one. I wanted to write, "Honestly, she just makes this crap up." But I wasn't allowed to.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

pre-dead? Is she now post-alive?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If spending 45 naked minutes a day on the eliptical trainer is wrong, I don't want to be right.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That pendulum motion seems dangerous.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, you wish you were the daughter.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The picture kept will remind me.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agreed! My favorite is currently Dear Prudence, over at Slate.com. The questions she gets for the most part seem realistic:

http://www.slate.com/id/2250610/pagenum/all/#p2

Draft saved Draft deleted