1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annie's mailbox

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by proudpittsburgher, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Anytime you think you might be six degrees off center, just read Dear Abby, and you will realize you are perfectly normal. Guy in Illinois needs to lose weight, so his wife buys him an excercise machine. He doesn't use it because he doesn't like his workout cloths, so wife says "I don't care if you do it while you are naked, just use it." So he does, everyday, 45 minutes a day, and he is losing weight. That's all fine and good, to each their own, I say. The kicker though??? I'll type this sentence verbatum . . . Wife: "I think part of the reason he is doing it so regularily is because our 12-year-old daughter has begun to 'coach' his sessions, counting his reps and urging him on." I've got three words: W, T and F. Spare me the "The body is beautiful" argument, you shouldn't be working out naked infront of your daughter. Case closed.
  2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a real letter. But I've always figured advice column letters are often as truthful as letters to Penthouse. It was probably written by a guy pretending to be the wife and the guy, who might even be single, has thought about exercising his fat ass while his 12-year-old fictional daughter yells at him. So to get someone to acknowledge his fantasy, he writes a letter asking for advice, from the wife's perspective.
  3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A guy with a fictional wife and kid? Sounds familiar. ::)
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fictional neighbor, you mean
  5. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

Technically, Dear Abby and Annie's Mailbox are two different advice columns. Annie's Mailbox is run by the two women who used to write up Ann Landers' column.
  6. You are correct . . . I didn't mean to put dear abby in the post. Doesn't make it any less sick, though,
  7. dooley_womack1

Another well-ln
    Another famous advice column had this issue once.

Dear Miss Manners,

I used to think that everything in Miss Manners was made up, but after what happened to me recently, I am now a believer.

Judith, I am a sophomore at a major state university in the Midwest, and had never indulged in the pleasures of coitus. One night, me and my frat brothers decided to hit the bars in search of a buzz and some babes. I was feeling no pain, but was no closer to getting some sweet female company.

That's when she sidled up to the bar and sat in the stool next to me. She smiled and introduced herself as Trixie. She had a body that wouldn't quit and a glint in her blue eyes that said she wanted it. After shooting the breeze and having a few more brews, we decided to head to her dorm. Things were going hot and heavy, so I went for the clincher. I got out my pipe and loaded it with some killer Colombian.

My question, Miss Manners: Am I required to let her have the first hit, even if I'm afraid she'll bogart it?

Name and address withheld by request.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

P.S.: Is it proper etiquette to inform the young lady before finishing on her grille? Or is it just OK to do it?
  9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is the mailbox by the back door?
  10. dooley_womack1

The mail slot, yes.
  11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I always figured all the Ann/Abby letters came from frat houses.
  12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The Hints from Heloise letters are also disturbing/amusing. People write in with hints such as packing sandwiches in a cooler on long car trips and act as if they've discovered something.
Draft saved Draft deleted