1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AnnArbor.com sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WolvEagle, Jul 20, 2012.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Here's the journalismjobs.com ad:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1379200

Staff of two, huh? And you don't get to oversee Michigan football and basketball coverage, even though you can see into Michigan Stadium from .com's downtown offices. Just wow.

The previous sports editor, Jim Knight, took a PR job at U-M. He's a really good guy, and I'm sure he's missed.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A FAR FAR FAR cry from what this job was when Jim Knight was hiring for it years ago ... sigh.

rb

3. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

This sparked a conversation among former A2 News sports staffers about the max size of our former sports department. Circa 2006 it consisted of at least 16 staffers, 9 full time, 5 or 6 close to full time (29 hours a week with benefits) and two or three more part-timers with fewer hours.

It's a great town.

4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

We had 18 in sports before the cutting started, and it was a hard-working, creative, fun group.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

An exceptional group. Thrilled to have one of them working with me now

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Before that, there were 8 fulltimers and probably 10-12 29-hour people and 3-4 with fewer hours.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That ad's depressing as hell. A-squared is a great town and it used to have a really strong newspaper.

This line in the J-jobs listing seems to acknowledge as much:

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The .com is even a shell of it former self, let alone the newspaper.

It really started going down hill about a year or so ago when they cut the proven journalists and started hiring fresh out of college kids with no perspective as their top reporters.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Tomorrow is the third anniversary of The Ann Arbor News closing - July 23, 2009. It doesn't seem like it's been three years.

Draft saved Draft deleted