1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AnnArbor.com lays off 14

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That was actually the Free Press that broke that whole story - or non-story.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Mustang - It certainly wasn't a nonstory. DickRod led the U-M football team straight onto probation.

3. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

If you think the Free Press story was a non-story, I'm glad you're out of journalism.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They also used AP or rewrite (forget which now) on the state swimming championships, of which a local team won and their biggest school finished second. They also had pretty big previews during the week.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hey, he's a UM fanboi.

This isn't a great parallel, but I do find it somewhat funny that the same fanbois that were ready to crucify the Freep and Rosenberg for anonymous sources, wholeheartedly accept those same anonymous sources in the Ohio State mess now.

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I am told the sites that are scratching at annarbor.com also are sweeping some details under the rug.

7. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I'm told they are dropping all preps coverage.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

So much for being local, local, local.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So when Dearing says they're focusing on more local news coverage, he really means less...

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So, who covers preps around there now? That would seem to be a $izable niche to fill.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

That would be a huge, huge mistake - and that's coming from The Ann Arbor News' weekend preps/nonrev college rewrite guy for two decades. There was tremendous interest in the prep coverage when I was there. No, not the same as U-M's major teams, but still very well worth the effort.

If that's the case, I'll be really curious to see the community backlash.

12. Hank_Scorpio

So apparently Pete Cunningham gets reassigned? I believe he was the main prep writer.

It was always weird with aa.com. They'd post their own stories, but they'd also have links to Freep or News stories as well as ESPN.com. That may have been their version of wire briefs, though, but still weird to see them posting links that would take them away from their site.

Draft saved Draft deleted