1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AnnArbor.com lays off 14

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Mar 11, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

aa.com does say there's more layoffs coming at Borders... as for its own follies and foibles? Nada.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's unfair, slappy. There's no one there left to write about aa.com's follies. :D

Last one out the door please turn out the lights.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have said this before, I feel like I dodged a huge bullet when i didn't get a job there a few years back.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Well, at least Michigan Public Radio wrote about it:

http://news.michiganradio.org/post/annarborcom-lays-14-employees#

Jeff Arnold, a sports reporter, was one of the 14. Damn. Jeff is a great guy.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You have no idea. There are two others on this board with no ties to the Ann Arbor area who feel the same way.
    As Jim Carty said a long time ago (paraphrasing): You admit you failed with the previous business model, hence shuttering the newspaper. So you put the same people in charge of the web product?

6. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

That's accurate. I went to a couple of local things where the people in charge of new venture described it and it was clear they were closer to empty suits than digital natives. Example: they rented a big, expensive office in the google building. Next time just set the money on fire.

7. WolvEagle

Brian - The expensive office space isn't in the Google building - it's a couple blocks from there. Still, it's expensive downtown office space. AA.com could have used part of The News building, which Newhouse already owned, but no...

The News building has since been sold.

Also, two sports part-timers were among the 14: Bison Messink and Kaleb Roedel. Both did a good job. I know Bison, and he's a good guy.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Like wolv said, they are not in the google building.

IIRC, aa.com muscled its way into their current space as well. There was a small company on the top floor, but aa.com didn't want to share. They also were going to use the bottom floor as a community space.

They went to the landlord, said all or nothing, and forced the small company out.

9. WolvEagle

There was a coffee shop in the ground-floor space, and the landlord forced it out to make room for aa.com's "community" space. The editorial and other offices are on the seventh floor. The ad staff gets to look into Michigan Stadium from a distance.

Methinks this wasn't a very smart move - way too expensive. Betcha aa.com could have gotten a smaller, less-expensive space in the State Street/I-94 area.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But then who would stop by, drink coffee and just hang out... you know, as a community?

11. Hank_Scorpio

You can do that at Borders.

Oh wait ...

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Of course, now that RichRod is no longer in Ann Arbor, there is no need for 3/4's of that staff as the "dig up dirt and create controversy surrounding Michigan football and its coach" beat seemed to consume far more people than reasonably necessary

Draft saved Draft deleted