1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AnnArbor.com apologizes for reporter's comment during live chat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Mar 16, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Dave Birkett, the University of Michigan football beat writer for AnnArbor.com, made a wisecrack about a recruit's legal issues during a live chat.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/annarborcom-apologizes-for-inappropriate-remark-made-during-live-chat
    The maize and blue Kool-Aid drinkers already have been on the warpath about the impending probation. Now, this.

To borrow a line I've seen elsewhere on SportsJournalists.com, End well, this will not.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Link ain't workin'

3. WolvEagle

Fixed - I put the wrong coding on it.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What - no apology. Valuable time was wasted trying to load. :)

5. WolvEagle

I apologize. The key is whether Mr. Birkett will to Mr. Dorsey.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey don't sweat it. Mr Birkett would have been better post the time honored sj "Thx for stopping by Demar"

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Dave Birkett is the man. That is all.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a pretty tame comment to be worked up about. Papers want reporters to do this stuff. But don't expect lots of traffic if you want your folks to be vanilla, too.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How is Burkett supposed to get the respect of the players and coaches on his beat when he makes remarks like that?

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Agreed that it was pretty tame, but don't forget, people are insane.

If this happened at my school, it would just validate everyone's belief that the paper had an "anti-my team" bias and was actively campaigning to destroy my university.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Typical U-M fans, whining about anything and everything. They have a completely irrelevant team on the national front (and will continue to do so).

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is that what Live Chats are for? To get the respect of players and coaches on the beat?

That's the problem when you try to bolt on the web to the traditional print media. Some of this stuff just doesn't work for beat reporters.

Draft saved Draft deleted