1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anna Nicole BELOW THE FOLD in hometown paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Feb 9, 2007.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Simple: Anna Nicole lived her life so others wouldn't have to.

2. moonlight

moonlight Member

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Hey, I put that a link to that Dear Abby/Annie's Mailbox column on the front of our Web site and it produced. Anytime you have a headline that includes the words "exhibitionist" and "nudist", it's going to drive Web traffic.

I'm not going to take a gratuitous jab at your seven-post status, but a newbie needs to know that's a cheap rip of a small-town paper. Coulda been a first story by a high school stringer. The writer will probably never see your rip, but doesn't deserve it. Boo to you.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My conclusion is you're a dick. It wasn't after your initial post; it is now.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Celebrating a life is in no way, shape or form a barometer for news-worthiness.

Were people talking about it non-stop the next day? That's a barometer for news-worthiness.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Must be a syndicated column, though. Letter's from Bradenton, Fla.

F_B, I hate myself for saying this, but in the world we live in, who this person was -- OK, I'll grant you that she's a famous nobody, but still famous -- and the circumstances of her death put her on 1A in a lot of places.

Like it or not, a lot of people were talking about this yesterday. Hard to ignore it with a brief on B13.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This resembles the debate over LeBron James' statements on John Amaechi.

Just because you don't like the answer -- re: this story belongs on A1 -- doesn't mean you can dismiss it. There's too much evidence that people want to read about it.

A more valid question to me is, where do you play it on A1? Because I'd say you downplay it there, a rail down the side or a feature-type hole on the lower right of the page. (And yes, DyePackian scholars, that does matter.)

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A guy could really settle in below Anna's folds.

Sigh.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

B -- Hell! D -- section at least, if not Double D or E...

10. scribe21

scribe21 Member

News is news. Should have been above the fold. If it's a crappy CNHI paper, then I understand why it's at the bottom. Not shocked. ... gotta have that local, baby. ...

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I say bullshit. News is not news just because a celebrity-addicted national media says it is. Anne Nicole Smith being the top story in any paper perhaps aside from L.A., N.Y. or her hometown is fucked up and a signal in the decline of our news judgment vis a vis letting the celebrity tail wag the dog.

Bottom of the page at best, she was a vapid waste of space.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And again ... you've let down your readers' expectations if you act on your particular yardstick of what's important here.

You don't get to eliminate a celebrity-addicted populace by stamping your foot and saying it's not so.

Draft saved Draft deleted