1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anna Nicole BELOW THE FOLD in hometown paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this personally because Mexia, Texas is well south of me, but it's all over the radio stations here this morning. I find that kind of odd, too. Here is the Web site:

http://www.mexiadailynews.com/

Note: The link to "A PRETTY WRAPUP" is not the link to Anna Nicole's death, thank God. In fact, you'll be hard-pressed to find any link.

Second note: This is a CNHI newspaper.

2. Good for them. I'd have played it on B13.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But thank God we got the photo of the local kid signing his letter of intent with Kilgore Junior College to become service stud for the Rangerettes..

4. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

I looked at this page and can't even find anything on Smith's death, except for some AP stuff at the very bottom.
    Wouldn't a local writer piece together something? Talk to known friends from back in the day?
    That's awful coverage following her death.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Talk to her known friends? Wonder how many of them even exist.

6. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Still.
    This deserved more coverage from a credible newsgathering team, presumably led by a forward-thinking editor.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Waco paper seemed to give it the old college try.

Talked to a former teacher and a former classmate.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2007/02/09/02092007wacmexia.html

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

"A PRETTY WRAPUP" is damn near priceless.

So, which of the girls above will be elected "Most Likely to Be the Next Anna Nicole"?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

None. It's a trick question. The next Anna Nicole would be in the parking lot with the deejay and a box of strawberry wine.

10. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

I've never understood why Anna Nicole Smith was a news story, alive or dead. She had utterlly no talent, was a stripper, a gold-digger who had no right to that old man's money, a drug addict and, by all accounts, a horrible, neglectful parent.

Please, someone tell me what intrinsic societal value she had, and why a life like this should be celebrated in any way?

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Keef, why do you hate America?

She was a celebrity. And celebrities are royalty in America, especially the B-listers.

12. Deejay, hell.
    Has anybody seen the toothless janitor?

Draft saved Draft deleted