1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Richards RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

amen to that

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't know whether she smoked.

Drank? Yes.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Somewhere GHWB is saying, "Poor Anne ..."

YHS, etc

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

People on both sides of the aisle could have learned from her.

RIP.

5. She was the one who told me about Hightower's line about (I believe) Bill Clements. Someone mentioned that Clements had begun taking Spanish lessons.
    "Good," said Hightower. "Now he can be bi-ignorant."
    She gave him credit and then threw back her head and laughed.
    Good on her.
    RIP.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So he didn't learn anything from Bobby Knight?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Obviously, RIP... I remember her from her speech at the 1988 convention when she ripped on the elder George Bush... Good to see it helped Dukakis get those 13 electoral votes...

What's interesting about Richards is that if she hadn't been beaten in the gubernatorial upsets in recent history, most people in this country would only know George W. Bush as the son of the former president...

I didn't like Richards' politics, but she was one of the great political personalities in this country and she will be missed...

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

One of the few women you could call a 'broad' and mean it as the highest form of compliment.

Great lady, great loss. RIP.

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Bill Dauterive weeps.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Quick, to the point and perfect.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ann Richards was good for a few laughs here and there. I disagreed with her politics, but she managed to leave behind quite a few sound bites and a legacy.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

You can tie sports into her obituary. Without Ann Richards, there might not be a Big 12, and Texas and Texas A&M might be in the Pac-10 (Pac-12?) today.

When Texas and Texas A&M were rumored to be leaving the SWC in the early-1990s, Richards, a Baylor grad, and powerful Texas Tech alums in the state legislature used their influence to ensure that any move had to include those schools. The Pac-10 backed away from Texas and A&M because it couldn't take four, leaving the Big Eight happy as a clam.

Draft saved Draft deleted