1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Killion - classy lassy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big_Space, Nov 22, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Winston doesn't have a long record accusations.

So what? One credible accusation should mean something.

What if Winston 2013 = Cosby 1967?

Why enable him? Why pretend he's anything other than what he is?

And, again, prosecutors decided not to press charges not because the "investigation" showed him to not be a rapist, but because the investigation sucked.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It has something to do with it.

And, it has everything to do with how journalists refer to him in their reporting.

3. YankeeFan

I get that.

I've not defended the tweet. It was unprofessional.

But, I'm not offended by the idea that Winston would be called a rapist, and neither is anyone else who isn't a fanboi.

Should reporters refer to him as a rapist? No.

Should we pretend he was proven innocent? No.

But, how should reporters handle the issue? Should they refer to the accusations against him in a profile? Of course, right? And, when they do, they should make clear that the charges were not brought because a bungled investigation meant that prosecutors could not make a case, and not suggest -- as has been suggested here -- that he was cleared of the charges after a professional investigation.

And, when a reporter gets an interview for an ESPN or SI profile, they have to ask him about the accusation, right? We're not going to just ask an accused rapist football questions, are we?

Or, have we not learned anything?

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Nobody has learned anything.

The sarcastic and unprofessional comments that used to be thrown liberally around the press box, but would usually stay there are now tweeted out.

Nobody has learned anything and it's only going to get worse.

Ann Killion, one of the more respected columnists around, has turned into Jim Rome. "He's a rapist, er, allegedly"

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I would not be happy. One of the new worries for what editors remain is so much stuff goes up unedited and unchecked. The proliferation of blogs, all the tweets, there's simply no way to get to all of it. I always told my writers to be very, very, very careful. They were always "on the clock" with that stuff, including their personal twitter.

I don't know what can or what should be done with something like this. While Creosote's post above is solid and makes good points, I don't think this is a firing offense. Or even merits a suspension if there's been no history. A discussion with a very clear point: do NOT do it again?

What is the best answer?

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I guess that depends on how long "we" determine one has to live with accusations that never amounted to anything.

"We" also have to remember we're NOT the legal system, we're documenters of the legal system. If the investigation was botched, we say the investigation was botched. That's it. We DON'T say that because the investigation was botched, Jameis Winston is a rapist.

We can investigate on our own, with the knowledge that it mostly would have little impact on legal justice being served.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I don't think this is a fireable offense. This, assuming it's the first time it's happened, merits a "Hey, watch yourself..." which she probably got based on the apology/clarification.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

On the next season of Serial ...

9. YankeeFan

I just get the sense that people think this is so unfair to Winston.

Who was treated more unfairly, Winston, or his accuser?

If I'm going to muster up sympathy in this case, it will be for the accuser.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This 15-year-old accuser against UAB's football team didn't muster too much sympathy.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no12uab.html

11. joe

joe Active Member

A wise man here once said, We are not the story, we are the storytellers.

Reckon that still holds true.

12. RecoveringJournalist

That story is a classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted