1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Curry Gone From Today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

NBC executives are readying a plan to replace Ann Curry on the “Today” show, only a year after she became the co-host of the iconic franchise.

The planning — which is taking place in secret and has not been finalized — is effectively an admission that all is not well at “Today,” the show that invented morning television 60 years ago and has inspired countless lower-rated competitors since. “Today” consistently ranked No. 1 in the morning ratings until this spring, when ABC’s “Good Morning America” beat it for several weeks.

Several weeks ago, network officials and Ms. Curry began to discuss a different job for her, according to people with knowledge of the negotiations, who insisted on anonymity because the matter was confidential. Those discussions have continued and are expected to be completed before NBC’s coverage of the Summer Olympics begins in late July.

Executives in the television news industry believe that changes to Ms. Curry’s role on “Today” could be announced as early as next week. The timing is sensitive because in late July, NBC begins to broadcast the Summer Olympics and the “Today” show tags along, transplanting its studio to the host city.

“They feel real pressure to get it done by the Olympics,” one of the people with knowledge of the negotiations said. That way, “Today” can go to the games with a complete, comfortable team of co-hosts. The show typically gets a big ratings bounce — just the sort of thing it needs to fend off “Good Morning America.”

She got her dream job, and she doesn’t want to let it go,” one of the people said. Ms. Curry has also expressed dissatisfaction with “Today,” where her journalistic curiosities sometimes clash with morning television realities. Accordingly, she may be moved into a foreign correspondent role, reflecting her strengths in reporting from disasters both man-made, like the ethnic killings in Darfur, and natural, like the 2010 earthquake in Haiti.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/20/nbc-prepares-to-replace-ann-curry-on-today/?smid=fb-share

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Abe Vigoda outlives ... oh, you mean the TV show.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I said this on a Journalism Topics thread, and I'll say it again. Ann is an excellent journalist. Being a Today co-host isn't journalism. It's happy talk and shilling.

Just not the right fit.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm with Baron. Due to a schedule change, I've had the opportunity to watch the morning news only since April. Curry has really impressed me with her professionalism and class. If "Today" doesn't want that, its loss.

Must confess I bounce back and forth from NBC to CBS only because I'm a big Charlie Rose fan.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've said it before on other threads, and I'll repeat it here: hosting this type of morning show is really, really hard, and there are very few people who have the skill set and personality to do it. Ann Curry is not very well suited to it. Her talents are better suited to a straight news gig -- like the Today newsreader position she used to have, or an evening news magazine spot.

The thing that's pushing all of this is that Savannah Guthrie is getting an increasingly bigger role in the show, and is infinitely better-suited for the host job. Nothing puts pressure on your position like having a perfect replacement sitting at the end of the couch.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Mixed feelings. I think Ann Curry's great... so is Savannah, and NBC definitely does not have a Deborah Norville situation on its hands.

I also heard, like it says above, NBC may give Ann more foreign-correspondent assignments, which is a big strength of hers.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Happy to say I don't watch any of the morning shows except the sludge from Morning Joe -- since Dan Patrick starts when the network crapola starts.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She is a good journalist, but she's terrible in that role.

Draft saved Draft deleted