1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Arbor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

closing in June, going online only??
    Someone check mlive please for a link.

2. Moderator1

Found it. True. But July, not June.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2009/03/ann_arbor_news_to_close_in_jul.html

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Holy fuck.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

At this point, how can the bleeding be stopped?

From the reader comments: "What the ????, I am gonna go back to bed ,get back up, and restart my computer.
    "I love you guys."

Well said.

I'm so glad I'm out - had to go a long, long way to get out -- but I weep for those left behind. On an uncomfortably regular basis.

How many staffers will be retained for AnnArbor.com

I'm so sorry.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is just terrible. By the end of the year will Southern Michigan have a daily paper left?

If AA is not safe, what town is?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's the only daily paper in the town, iirc. Right?

7. Moderator1

Great people there. Had a chance to work there a couple of years ago and came VERY close to accepting. Unlike many places, they seemed to have a plan to deal with the financial times. But I don't think anyone anticipated things getting this bad.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Correct.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's just unbelievable... but considering the editor announced his retirement last week, not surprising.

This is jawdropping. They built a new printing plant a couple of years ago.

EDIT: And they've recycled Tony Dearing as the content guy? The consumate corporate lackey

What does this say for Flint, Saginaw, Jackson and Muskegon if Ann Arbor goes...

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's one thing to read that a lot of newspapers are going to close in 2009. It's another to start seeing them fall one at a time.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

A friend of mine works at one of those papers. Just got an e-mail from her today telling me about Ann Arbor and she is very worried.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ann Arbor is one of those cities where you would just expect people to read newspapers. Lots of students, lots of coffee shops, people sitting in parks, taking buses
    , taking classes.

UGH.

Draft saved Draft deleted