1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Arbor series on academics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 16, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn Jim McCarty anyway

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Update: It's been a long-time coming, but the Michigan faculty has pretty much vindicated the vast majority of the series on academics and athletics by attempting this week to institute a series of changes which will take away almost all power the athletic department has over academic matters.

http://www.mlive.com/news/annarbornews/index.ssf?/base/news-30/1231861216326610.xml&coll=2

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Nice to see hard work making a difference.

4. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I have to say I'm surprised it did. Pleasantly surprised. And I hear more change is coming, including personnel moves.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I think this exchange in the comments section between two UM athletes sums up the mindset of must D-1 programs:

Posted by BradP on 03/19/08 at 1:14PM
    Very well said RArules38. U of M is a world-class institution and these types of institutions should be world-class in all areas and accept no less. Where is the outrage towards this type of behavior? It seems people have been so brainwashed to not look objectively or to be critical of the University of Michigan that all perspective has been lost. Maybe when the fight or flight instincts have cooled down people in responsible positions will open a honest dialogue as to current practices.

Posted by UMBaller on 03/19/08 at 1:25PM
    BradP: Periods, commas and question marks go INSIDE the quote. And I think you meant to say 'to DO the right thing.' Or are YOU having trouble putting words together? Just because someone types on a Blackberry and types it fast and doesn't spend all day thinking of what to write doesn't mean they can't. Grow up. This was 4 days of garbage. Nobody told lies except CARTY. Got it? You never lived it. You never played here. Go away haters. I'm out.

Posted by BradP on 03/19/08 at 2:02PM
    UMBaller: I did play "here" by the way. These practices give a bad name to the 90% of student-athletes who do things the right way, yet we are lumped in with all the others who have no business at "our" school.

Posted by UMBaller on 03/19/08 at 2:17PM
    You played. LOL. Yea right. What? Crew? Tennis? When you say the "others" you mean football. Guess what fool? The money WE OTHERS bring in allows you to "play" here. It allows all you arrogant suckers who point your fingers to have a top ranked team every year. and bowl games to go to. and $$$. guess what? we make "OUR" school $$. lots and lots of it. dont give me your self rightous bull. You aint entitled to an opinion here homie. Unless there are NCAA rules being broken you dont have a right to say squat. news flash--NO RULES BROKEN. Go away. Thats it. I'm ghost. Peace to all of you on the right side which is like 90% from what i see.

Draft saved Draft deleted