1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Arbor series on academics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Among the many shake-your-head kind of responses:

As a former MICHIGAN football player i am disgusted as this the biggest 4 day piece of bull i have ever read. 4 days worth of crap. taking quotes out of contest. making it look like the best thing that ever happened to the program shari acho is doing something wrong. man we all have free will. we CHOOSE to take what we do. she GUIDES us. thats all. and we DO THE WORK in ind studies. you tried to make a great man Mr hagen look bad like he give grades to players for not doing work. that is a LIE. he makes us do WORK. did carty and huser ever have an easy class in theyre college? i EVERY body who goes to college has 1 or 2 easy classes. you still do work tho!! hope UM never lets carty and huser in the building again never lets them do interviews ever. people should be losing jobs over this fake journalism. i have been tlaking to guys in this stories and all of them are mad that theyre quotes were taken out of contest. to try and make the academic program look bad. the only quote they got right were that shari is like a mom and is unbeleivable. this whole 4 days is LIES. people do NOT suscribe to this garbage paper!!!

I e-mailed those guys and told them they need to quit taking shit out of contest.

2. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Uh, Moddy ... thanks for that one from a former player.

Seems he missed his English class(es).

Could you provide a translation please?

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

The prosecution rests.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

To reference the accompanying sidebar thread: I wonder if he emailed his support to Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman?...

What a crying shame.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Hail to the vikters!

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Michigan's President Mary Sue Coleman has fired back.

http://media.www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2008/03/18/UAdministration/Coleman.We.Did.Nothing.Wrong-3273150.shtml

8. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

If Mary Sue could speak to the Michigan Daily, why couldn't she speak to the Ann Arbor News? Anything she says after the fact just sounds like sour grapes. She had her chance to comment (not email) before the stories were published. She should have commented then.

Sorry, Mary Sue ... can't have it both ways.

9. Because people like Mary Sue Coleman often think that if they ignore the story or decline the interview requests, the story will go away. Then it doesn't, and they are forced to react.

If these people surrounded themselves with media relations whizzes instead of "Yes" men, often things would turn out differently.

You see this all the time in sports - coach/AD/GM refuse to cooperate with a story that a beat writer is working on, beat writer breaks it anyway, coach/AD/GM is all ove the next the next day giving "his side."

It often has the effect of turning a one-day story into a story with legs. But with SIDs and PR people afraid to speak up to their domineering bosses, it happens all the time.

10. jps

jps Active Member

Like the series or not ... some of the comments are pretty disturbing.

Posted by ghatch on 03/20/08 at 1:07AM
    Wow....this is the biggest waste of so called journalism I have ever read.
    It is VERY obvious that Carty has something against UM and furthermore, specific employees of UM.
    I can't believe they posted that picture of Shari Acho holding a glass of wine. I felt like I was on the perezhilton site. Funny thing is..... good luck to Carty going ANYWHERE around UM. We ALL have cell phones that take pics! Want a beer Carty? Oh... too bad.... We'll take a pic!
    Want to feel comfortable having a life without public scrutiny? Oh... too bad.
    I really hope UM steps up to the plate and blackballs these losers! NO MORE PRESS PASSES! NO MORE INTERVIEWS! There should be a no contact policy with this paper and the University.
    Furthermore, if I were Carty, I would stay FAR away from the campus, I know alot of people that would like to meet him and then take him to the desert.... "there's alot of holes in the desert, alot of problems buried in those holes."
    Carty is just another "problem".

Have a fun drive home alone tonight Carty!

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yeah. Shoot the messenger. That will learn 'em

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course, in reading the Michigan Daily story, it's nice to see the family tradition continues of trashing other media sources with one-sided stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted