1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Arbor series on academics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 16, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Whatever. But if I'm a Michigan taxpayer, I sure as hell don't want to help subsidize someone's room and board for four years of study in the Land of Make Believe -- and their well-earned welfare check thereafter.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

If I understand you correctly, nobody should care whether these guys are really students, and nothing should be done to ensure that they are, but when they don't have any marketable skills 10 years down the line, it's their fault, because they weren't really students.
    Hmmm.
    I'm gonna say I disagree.

3. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

I've only read part I, but I agreed with an earlier poster that the article seemed all over the map. A lot of reporting, but the writing didn't flow.

In general though, it sounds like the main professor was performing a function that the academic support office should have been doing. It certainly didn't seem like a course to get credit for, and I have no clue whatsoever how it would fall under the psychology department.

4. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Part II is more clearly written, I feel. And the inference that making the kinesiology degree harder only pushed most of the football players into "general studies" as a major is damning. Unfortunately, this is happening in every decent football school in America.

5. ned racine

ned racine Member

I THINK ITS OBVIOUS THIS GOES ON AT MOST SCHOOLS...MICHIGAN ALWAYS SEEMED TO GIVE THE IMPRESSION THEY WERE ABOVE THIS....BUT PLEASE REMEMBER HOW MANY EASY CLASSES WE TOOK IN OUR 4-5 YEARS AT SCHOOL...I TOOK AS MANY EASY COURSES IN COLLEGE..I ADMIT IT I WAS AN F-UP AT TIMES..I TOOK ALL THE REQUIRED COURSES FOR MY MAJOR AND THEN FOUND AS MANY EASY CLASSES AS POSSIBLE TO GET THE REST OF MY CREDITS...ALSO REMEMBER THIS..THE MUSIC STUDENT ON ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPGETS CREDIT FOR BEING IN
    THE BAND OR WHATEVER THE PERFORMANCE IS...THE THEATRE MAJOR GETS CREDITS FOR BEING IN A PLAY..THE ATHLETE DOES NOT GET CREDIT FOR PLAYING SPORTS..TELL ME WHY SHOULD SOMEONE GET CREDIT FOR BEING IN THE SCHOOL PRODUCTION OF RENT,BUT NO CREDIT FOR BEING BLINDSIDED BY A 305 POUND GORILLA WHILE ATTEMPTING A PASS

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Ned,

Welcome to SportsJournalists.com and thanks for your insightful post. Now please do us all a favor and never fucking come back.

7. Awesome.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Caps Lock,
    Perhaps if there was a class called Being Blindsided by a 305 Pound Gorilla 101, the football player would get some credit. As of now, I'm not sure any university has one.

EDIT: mustardbased probably said it best.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think athletes do get PE credit for sports, so don't pull that one.

And learning to take notes is not a class that should get someone three credits.

10. ned racine

ned racine Member

Sorry for the caps lock...and ooooh you scare me...the point is other students who have extra-curricular activites get breaks too,but we always pick on the jock....remember in many cases the athlete(and not just the revenue sports) spend tons of hours training,practicing,and competing plus studying....
    i got credit writing for my college paper..my roomate did not get physical ed credit playing soccer...i dont see the difference...

11. I suddenly get DoubleDown's points about ellipses ...

12. ned racine

ned racine Member

"And learning to take notes is not a class that should get someone three credits"

I agree with that...I am not defending Michigan...some of those examples are laughable,but to think that athletes are the only students with extra-curricular activites that get breaks is flat out wrong..

Draft saved Draft deleted