1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ann Arbor News going to mostly web

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Jul 23, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Got no dogs in the hunt. Never even been to Michigan, but if the design of annarbor.com is the best they could do, then wow.
    The design just doesn't work for me.

The staff box also lists a total of 26 people on the news gathering side. How many were on the staff when it was a daily paper?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I'm not in love with the design of the site. At all.

3. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

When I started at the News in 2001, there were 109 folks in editorial, counting everyone including support staff. And remember, Newhouse keeps its web operations segregated from the papers, so literally no one on staff had to do any web support, design, etc.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So Jim, will Mlive be taking any content from annarbor.com? Or are they going to keep those separate and Ann Arbor stuff just disappears from mlive?

5. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

It's a strange situation, Hank.

I've been told MLive will only have access to Michigan football coverage via RSS.

Yet as far as I can tell, there is no Michigan football RSS feed.

6. jackandcoke

jackandcoke Member

I found this comment from Tony Dearing - who is running the operation - quite interesting (via PaperTigerNoMore.blogspot.com):

"The one thing I guarantee you, when this thing launches, and people look at it, they're not going to say, "Oh, it's just another newspaper website." I can assure you this is going to be different from anything you've ever seen, or can kind of conceptualize."

http://papertigernomore.blogspot.com/2009/03/dearing-interview-part-i-its-going-to.html

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It looks pretty bland. On the other hand, they do seem to have integrated the ads (ok - all six of them) well into the design.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I know a lot of good people who work there, and for their sake I hope it lasts more than a year. But so far, it's certainly different than I conceptualized. It's a lot less.

9. Jim Knight

Jim Knight New Member

We'll have a better list of RSS feeds up soon. Here's where you can find a working list: http://www.annarbor.com/get_rss/

10. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

Losing Carty was huge for them. IMO he is one of the best sports journalists out there...anywhere...and he left for law school.

I heard they hired Dave Birkett who is also an exceptional journalist. If they got Dave, then things will go well for their sports.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like the fact you can click on photos and they'll open. But they are HUGE. I have a 22-inch monitor and they still overwhelm it.
    And one thing I learned at my first job and I don't care if it's print or web -- every photo needs a cutline. Every one.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, Dave will be covering Michigan football. Damn good writer, one of the best I've worked with. Great addition to their staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted