1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Animal House" - not that funny??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 6, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

And Monty Python & the Holy Grail

2. EStreetJoe

I feel the same way watching Old School.
    Compared to other movies before it, its just not funny or fresh

3. EStreetJoe

Another classic scene in that movie involves action in the background. In the bar scene where Ted & Elaine meet you've got the girl scouts getting into a brawl over their card game.

4. I thought about that one, but considering the crowd who usually quotes this movie (think 17-year-old Star Trek fans), it's hardly the cool movie to quote. :D

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Since TSP's original list included The Godfather, I'm assuming we're not limited to comedies. In which case, I have just three words for all of you: Casa-fuckin'-blanca.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love Animal House.

I first saw it the summer it came out, while I covering a local American Legion team in some tournament. I asked the post commander if he wanted to get dinner and he said he couldn't, he had to supervise the team at some movie. Animal House. "You want to go?" he said. Sure, why not?
    This guy was in his 60s and very straight laced. Your typical American Legion dude. Great guy. Would give you the shirt off his back. Not the type I thought would like this movie.
    He laughed harder than anyone there. For years, every time I saw him after that night, he'd bring up some scene from that movie and laugh some more.
    I actually chuckled a couple of times at his funeral, thinking of his reaction to the movie. I explained to his family later why I kept chuckling and his daughter said, "Lord, Daddy loved that movie. He talked about that night all the time. Couldn't remember Belushi's name but he loved that movie."

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's a great story.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Surely you didn't forget Heathers.

9. Johnny Dangerously

I think I'm offended ... or, very uncool. Or both.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I know lots of folks who quote Grail regularly, but they're all over 40. I would have figured a 17-year-old quoting it had learned the lines from his parents. Maybe not.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Same things that put Caddyshack in the top five on that or any other list of best comedies.

And I quote "Grail" constantly. As do my 8- and 11-year-old nieces, whose father got into a heap of shit with their mother for showing them that movie. Imagine a little blonde-haired girl being told it's time for bed and yelling, "DO YOU SEE HER OPRESSING ME??!?!?"

12. Johnny Dangerously

I'm hurt, but it's only a flesh wound.

Draft saved Draft deleted