1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animal House alert!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

One of my early SEs was that guy's roommate at Oregon (where the movie was filmed). The guy (the "actor," not the SE) was some kind of JV basketball player who they tapped for the role.

2. ArnoldBabar

That exchange is on the short list for my favorite part of the whole movie, especially when Niedermeyer responds by smirking through his pipe to the guy next to him, "What did he saaaaayy?"

And 22 viewings, birdscribe? I probably topped that in a week at some point. Show some dedication! :)

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's a great story, Babs.

And about those 22 viewings, I had a tradition to watch Animal House once a year. Kept it from 1980-2001. It ended in 2002 when I had one of those years charitably described by Queen Elizabeth as an annibus horribus.

4. ArnoldBabar

In an annibus horribus, you should watch Animal House weekly! Four out of five doctors agree.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I once interviewed the president of the University of Oregon in his office. Midway through I realized they had actually used the president's office as Dean Wormer's office. That was a trip.

My freshman year at Oregon I passed the Delta House on my way to class each morning. It was a rathole with squatters living in it. Then they tore it down and replaced it with the world's ugliest medical building.

I'd constantly spot things on campus that I recognized from the film. I took 5 or 6 classes in the room where Donald Sutherland lectured about Milton. My senior year I had a class in a room that seemed really familiar... and I finally realized it was where they held the hearing where the Delta guys marched out of the room.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I thought you were pre-law?

7. ArnoldBabar

What's the difference?

8. ArnoldBabar

Awesome. Was there a dead horse in the president's office? But I think the Delta house was actually on the lot at Universal. It was part of the tour for many years.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No dead horse, but I found myself staring at the doorway where they fired up the chainsaw.

If there was a Delta house on the Universal lot it was from the short-lived TV show. The actual Delta House was about 5 blocks west of the Oregon campus (on 11th Ave., between Hilyard and Patterson). It was only used for front exteriors. They used a frat about a block away for the interior shots, and Niedermeyer's frat and the sorority were actually two frats next door to the Delta House.

Here's a great website detailing some of the locations:

http://www.acmewebpages.com/animal/locales.htm

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Did you ever steal the test?

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I always loved how Bluto said "holy shit" when he saw the dead horse. It was like "holy shith."

Animal House and GF II are 1 and 1A on my favorite movie list. Which one is 1 and which one is 1A depends on which one I'm watching at the time.

"Double rock and rye and 7 Carlings."

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hooked it! Shit...

Draft saved Draft deleted