1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ani DiFranco not welcome at former plantation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So say ... fans? ... of the feminist folk singer.
    DiFranco scheduled a $1,000 a head creativity and songwriting workshop at a resort near her New Orleans home. The resort, Nottoway, is a former plantation that's been turned into a luxury resort. These places, some larger and some smaller, are all over the south. A lot of them are bed and breakfasts and some, like this one, are closer to 5-star resorts.

Anyway, the word "plantation" has caused a five-alarm freakout among DiFranco's fans. One of them started a change.org petition (https://www.change.org/petitions/ani-difranco-cancel-the-righteous-retreat-in-the-big-easy#share) that got enough signatures to convince DiFranco to cancel the workshop.
    Still not good enough.
    The petition signers are saying DiFranco has abandonded her feminist roots and is a flaming racist simply because of where she scheduled the thing. To them, the mere act of setting foot in a place like that -- or any building that was associated with slavery, which means half the public buildings in the South -- is a racist act. DiFranco basically says, in a long blog post, that they're idiots who lack a shred of common sense.

So, in short, it's a fight between two groups of self-righteous douchebags. I'm settling in with a bag of popcorn. As nauseating as some of the pretentious rhetoric is, this has the potential to be remarkably entertaining.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Which side is Beth Orton on?
  3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

As crazy as it sounds, DiFranco's right. Rather than placate by writing a long post, a simple "I cancelled the workshop for you, and you're calling me out and saying that's not enough to make you happy? Fuck all of you ungrateful bastards."

I've come to a point where no matter how much a person or a group go to resolve an issue for the good of the public, there will always be a group of assholes who feels it's never enough to their own liking. And if no one agrees with them, then they assail that person to have "betrayed" them.

Fuck them and their petition. They weren't real DiFranco fans anyway, IMO.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If these places weren't memorialized as museums to the wonderful plantation owners who treated their human cattle oh so well, there would be less of a problem.
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are just pissed that people did not appreciate the hoods they made.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

There are people willing to pay a grand for that?
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's pretty tone-deaf of DiFranco not to realize anything called a 'Plantation' was going to generate such a response, and charging $1000 a head for 'songwriting workshops' kind of eliminates any moral ground she may have had in terms of talking about "helping the downtrodden."
  8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

This is the first time I've heard anything about Ani DiFranco in the past fifteen years.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did she sing "Heartbeat is a Lovebeat?"
Draft saved Draft deleted