1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anheuser-Busch InBev to Buy Goose Island

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 28, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

President Obama's favorite brewery -- and my neighbor -- has been swallowed up by a giant.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/deals/2011/03/28/behind-anheusers-goose-island-beer-acquisition/?mod=google_news_blog

Yeah, it's a little sad, but I'm happy for the owners who got to cash in on their investment.

I know they were looking for a bigger brewing brewing facility in order to grow their production and that would have cost them a fortune. (They were also outsourcing some of their production to other breweries through contract brewing.)

Kind of funny too that they announced this right after Craft Beer Week ended and the Craft Brewers Conference in San Francisco was finished. Would have been a lot of broken hearts at that event if the news had broken during it.

2. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I had a few Goose Mild Winters yesterday, excellent beer. Hopefully they can grow the reach of the product without losing quality.
    Congrats to the owners.

3. YankeeFan

They've put out a statement here:

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/special_announcement/133.php

But, what's interesting to me -- given my enthusiasm for small business startups -- is to look back on its founding:

The guy chucked his corporate job and took a risk. It paid off pretty big today.

4. joeggernaut

joeggernaut Member

One of my favorites. I love almost every beer they produce. I'm glad for them and I hope this means more people can enjoy Goose Island.

5. JJMace

JJMace New Member

I love Goose Island and worry that InBev will "mainstream" the flavors and the brewing process, thus killing its uniqueness. That has happened to so many beers that have been bought out by the big boys, especially InBev.

6. YankeeFan

That's certainly the fear.

They do so many good, unique beers.

They've been doing a lot of collaborations with local chefs. Creating beers to pair with their food or using flavors profiles that fit with that chef's sensibilities.

The article says that the Brew Pubs are not a part of the deal. I'm hoping that the son continues to brew at the original pub. Maybe he'll rename it and start all over.

7. YankeeFan

Interview with the son of the owner:

http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2011/03/28/greg-hall-discusses-future-of-goose-island-and-himself.php

8. YankeeFan

Article on the growth of craft beer in Chicago:

Draft saved Draft deleted