1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angie's List ... worth it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Aug 4, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Never really cared before, but since I'll (hopefully) be a homeowner in two weeks, is it worth paying the $39 annually to join Angie's List? Is anyone on there? Are the reviews that much more trustworthy?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not a clue, but wondering the same thing.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd rather go with regular word of mouth. Find a friend, neighbor or relative who you trust and ask them.

That's what we did to find a mechanic, doctor, plumber, handyman, etc...

The concept of Angie's List is great, but $39 for a year is ridiculous.

4. imjustagirl

I have no friends that live within 30 miles of intown Atlanta.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Check out a home warranty company. I think we use HMS or something like that. It's like $400 a year and if something breaks, they find a local to come out and A) fix it or B) replace it with a new one. I think there's like a $50 charge for each time you use it. So, if your fridge craps out and they replace it, it costs you $50. The coverage we have covers damn near every appliance in the house and a whole slew of other shit.

6. imjustagirl

I have a warranty. I'm more thinking about things like putting in a fence or having my house painted or getting my driveway redone or finding a lawn care company.

7. Mizzougrad96

Lawn: Find a neighborhood kid to do it. Lawn care companies charge $50-$60 a week. Where you live it might even be higher.

The other stuff? Wow, yeah, I would ask as many people as possible or bite the bullet and pay the $39. You don't want to risk getting the wrong person for that stuff because they will rip you off something awful.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oops. My bad.

I'm in the same boat. We're getting our lawn redone next month. I just looked online, found 3 companies, got quotes from all three and chose one. Not sure if it's like this everywhere, but when we moved in, we got hundreds and hundreds of coupons for local companies in the mail. In fact, we still get them. Dealing with everything you're talking about.

Good luck!

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There's two alternatives, I think...

Kudzu.com and daveslist.com. Not sure about that second one, but he advertises on WSB... That may not be his address

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Angie and Dave are both jerks.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Angie's List is worth it - - - only if you are Angie.

Friends and neighbors can point you to good sources of homeowner help and steer you away from "bad guys".

12. Mizzougrad96

Drive around the neighborhood and if you see a fence or driveway that you like, go up to the door and ask them who did it for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted