1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart killed in hit-and-run

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

They just did a moment of silence before the Yankees-Orioles game. Apparently he lived in Baltimore in the offseason.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Game tonight is canceled, per MLBN.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Tonight's game has been postponed.

Edit: Buckdub beat me

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

LAT: Driver of van arrested on suspicion of DUI, other charges.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Link: http://tinyurl.com/dyhoao.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Doesn't say anything about DUI in the story you linked.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ok, well, I'm repeating the hed and link the LAT posted on Twitter. Can't read it on my phone.

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Wow. Somebody is in deep shit in Bristol right now.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I've said so on this board before, I've been rooting for this team since 1976, and yes, I do remember that the Angels had a very bad run of luck compared to other teams as far as losing players to tragedy, but that seemed to have stopped over the past few years -- until today.

This is eerily similar to when Lyman Bostock was killed back in 1978 (and the thoughts about how if one little detail about that night's events had changed, he'd probably still be alive). I had seen Bostock just a week earlier in a game at Anaheim, and as a 10-year-old just couldn't believe that a guy I had a seen taking part in a funny battle-of-will with Al Hrabosky just a few games earlier was now gone. I just remember last night being upset because the game was supposed to be on Fox Sports and wasn't for some reason, so I had to listen to it on the radio broadcast. Then, of course, I was even more upset when the bullpen blew the game and cost Adenhart a well-earned win. Obviously, those things are very unimportant now.

For those wondering, Adenhart was a highly-touted prospect. He had struggled in a ML call-up last year, and then didn't do so well after going back to the minors. However, he was only 22, and the Angels still had high hopes. I was thrilled he put in such a good outing last night, even if he was robbed of the win.

RIP, Nick. I know we would have seen great things from you. And all the best to his family and friends.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Why is it that the drunk driver never, ever seems to die in these crashes?

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Protected by the stupid bubble.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

1. Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, American Dad) was supposed to be on one of those planes on 9-11. He ended up missing the boarding by a couple of minutes.

2. RIP. 22, damn...

3. That deadspin link had Joba's DUI arrest at the top of the page. I hope he gets just how stupid and reckless that act is. This driver should rot in hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted