1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart killed in hit-and-run

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Don't forget about Donnie Moore.

Adenhart is on my A.L.-only fantasy auction keeper league. I say this not to send board members like spnited through the roof. I couldn't give a shit less about my fantasy team, obviously, in this circumstances. I only bring it up for a couple reasons:

1. To show, in a little way, that the guy was definitely not a nobody. Not, as Moddy said, that it would matter if he were. But Adenhart waas truly a bright young pitching prospect.

2. This morning I woke up and checked the late box scores as always. I was excited to see Adenhart pitched well in his start. Then, after coming back from a run right now, I turned on ESPN News and saw this awful news. I'm sure all Angels fans are experiencing the same thing I am this morning - real life intruding on their enjoyment of a game in very, very, very short order.

I know I'm rambling. I hope that I made the right points here and didn't come off as inappropriate. My intention isn't to make light of this, but quite the opposite.

2. So let me get this straight, MLBN was showing highlights that included Adenhart pitching, but then had nothing about him being killed a short time later?

3. It would be absolutely terrific if TMZ could get rid of the "EXCLUSIVE!" tag on the car photo.

Christ almighty.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He was going to be up at some point during the season, though. I listened to some of that Angels game on the way home from work, and the Angels' radio crew rightfully gushed about his performance. He had the stuff.

RIP to a guy who could've been one heckuva pitcher in the bigs.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I only forgot Donnie Moore because the LA Observed writer apparently did too.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A lot of outlets were behind the curve on the news, Billy. It took AP a long time to snap to attention.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

MLB Network showing World Series stuff.
    You have to wonder if they're just not set up to be on 24 hours a day. ESPN does not have the Baseball Tonight guys on set at all times, but they can have the anchor of the hour handle it and throw to Gammons/Olney on the phone while the Baseball Tonight guys get going.
    I would suspect they're scrambling, but their whole staff works on a 4-2 shift, or something like that.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Ouch.
    http://deadspin.com/5205437/espn-brings-out-the-sad-trombone

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Listening to the MLB channel on XM and they were talking around the point that if Oakland doesn't rally last night's game ends a lot earlier.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Even though it's not related in any way, in the last few minutes the memories of the '93 Indians came rushing back.

This is going to be a very difficult season for the Angels.

11. That's the case for almost any blink-of-the-eye tragedy, though. How many stories are there about people who left their luggage at home or something and couldn't get on a flight that ended up crashing? Unfortunately, obviously, the opposite is also true - the butterfly effect taketh away as much as it giveth.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Agreed. And that was the tone of the discussion they were having on XM. How many little things happened in that game to lengthen the evening.

Draft saved Draft deleted