1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart killed in hit-and-run

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I'm with OOP. Gallo will walk with more probation or some shit. No basis in fact, just a hunch. I'd love to be wrong, though.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'd be STUNNED if dude isn't behind bars for a long, long time.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ditto.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Very similar to what Dan LeBatard wrote Jim Leyritz's defence lawyers will argue.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know what? I am.

I am of the belief that someone who has had previous DUI's and was in the wrong in the accident with triple the legal limit in his system will get treated harshly here.

As he should be.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To borrow one of my father's favorite sayings, from your lips to G-d's ear.

Please understand that I'm not saying the alcohol in the other driver's system justifies what he did at all. It doesn't. It SHOULDN'T change his punishment, either, but I'm afraid it might.

Maybe I am just too much of a cynic.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_12074612?source=rss

GB, this is why I have no confidence in our legal system (California's or anywhere else). It's a damned shame that a drunk driver has to kill someone before he or she is dealt with properly and effectively. And in some cases, a drunk driver kills someone, gets bonded out and then does something else stupid.

Again, I'd love to be wrong here.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He should be treated harshly. However, the reality is that if the other driver was over the limit that fact will have a bearing on the trial. It shouldn't. But it will.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

While the accident probably was totally Gallo's fault, the 20-year-old driver being .06 will have a huge effect on the trial. The defense will be able to argue that she was impaired and and unimpaired driver might better have seen Gallo flying toward the intersection and an unimpaired driver might have been able to take better evasive action.

Then again, an unimpaired driver might not have done anything different at all. But that .06 will be everything as far as the defense's case.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/14025077/jury-defendant-guilty-of-seconddegree-murder-in-deaths-of-la-angels-pitcher-2-others

Gallo convicted of second-degree murder, among other charges. Facing up to 50 years to life in jail. Rot in prison, asshole.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maricopa County needs to update its records. There is a Maricopa County arrest warrant out for Adenhart for failure to appear on a liquor charge. Only a $750 bond. The warrant was almost four-years old when he died.

Weird that I found this since I was looking someone else up.

http://www.mcso.org/TechnoCops/Warrant.aspx?id=41613

Draft saved Draft deleted