1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Angelina Jolie is gonna have mother-in-law issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 10, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Brad Pitt's mom writes a letter to the editor in Springfield, Mo., endorsing Romney and calling "Barack Hussein Obama" a liberal who "supports the killing of unborn babies and same-sex marriage."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57467528-10391698/brad-pitts-mother-blasts-obama-same-sex-marriage/

According to NY Post, she's getting death threats, although just about everyone gets death threats for just about everything these days.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/brad_pitt_mom_faces_death_threats_ow7imRA0teEnwUbf95UAyJ

Pitt doesn't seem bothered by it -- I'm sure he curses a lot more in private about what his life has become, but that's one guy who seems outwardly like he handles the circus pretty well.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't agree with her stances, but it seems ridiculous that a woman, who I assume is in her late 60s or early 70s would get death threats when in reality her views are probably shared by a majority of people that age.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait, Obama supports the killing of same-sex marriage?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure Pitt always has a bong within arm's reach to deal with all of the women in his life... :D

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Brad Pitt's aging mother has opinions?
    This is an outrage!

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ha! Good line, Mizzou.

I don't think Jolie is liberal. I'll have to check with our resident Team Joliean Double Down, but I think politics is one of the reasons Brad and Ang fight. I think Pitt leans more toward his buddy Clooney, and she leans the other way.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Which makes it OK.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's true. I opened this link and I got a death threat. :(

EDIT: And then I got another one for posting in this thread. Shit.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This is just Jane telling Jon Voight through an old-school backchannel that she's ready to leave her husband for him.

Speaking of parents and letters to the editor, my dad loves writing them. He sends them to the local weekly but his big goal is always getting one in the Strib. When he does, he's always so excited, it really does make his week. They're always two sentences at the most, pithy little missives directed at local Republican congressmen he can't stand or, if he's writing to the Strib, it's more of a broader message and he uses a subtle sense of humor that is nowhere to be seen in his daily conversations. In five years he'll be the guy sending 5,000 word letters to the weekly. "Now, I wanna talk about Elgin Baylor and why no one is mowing that lawn at the house on Oak Street."

Then last week he forwards me a response from a reporter at the nearby daily. Mom had gotten in on the act. Sweet mom, who never says a negative word about anyone or anything. She had written to a reporter and taken him to task for saying several times in an article something about September 31. It was also in the headline (and, yes, she knows it was the copy editor who wrote the headline). His response was sarcastic and something like, "I'm a horrible human being, I don't know how I can make this up to you but I'll try." I was mortified, especially because for a brief second I thought mom didn't understand he was being sarcastic. I then told her she's someone who is now hated in that office, or at least by the reporter. Her and the 88-year-old former English teacher who writes in once a week. Mom didn't care. "He wrote September 31 three times!"

Last night I got an email from dad saying he didn't think Royals fans should have booed Cano. All I wrote back was, "Do not, under any circumstance, write a letter to the editor to the Kansas City Star."

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Any reporter who writes September 31 not once but three times has no business being sarcastic to anybody.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Checking mom's email, it was twice in the story, and also the headline. I don't disagree Double J, but I still threatened to take away their computer.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

And no allowance for two weeks? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted