1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Van Slyke: Barry Bonds Cost Us The 1992 NL Pennant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I still don't think you get it. Unless Leyland was supposed to come out of the dugout and help Lind field a grounder, I think he played the hand he had. We get it -- you think he should have gone with a starter in relief rather than Belinda.

As always, you wear the 20-20 hindsight goggles. But the Pirates didn't lose because of Leyland.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Correct.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

It's cool. And a welcome break from this pissing match.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, I once saw Sid Bream steal a base in person. But the opposing catcher was Mike Piazza, so I'm not sure it should have counted.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, learn to read. It would really help you.

First of all, going with Belinda wasn't my only problem with Leyland's managing of that game. The real issue was sending Drabek back out there for the ninth when he was clearly toast in the eighth.

Secondly, how is it hindsight when I and every person I was watching that game with were wondering what the hell he was thinking leaving Drabek out there as he did it? It was the wrong call. We all knew it. Bringing in Belinda with runners on base just made it worse.

6. outofplace

He did steal 50 of them during his career, including 13 in 1986. If I remember correctly, he had lost what little speed he ever had to knee problems by 1992. Bream wasn't Benji Molina slow and he was actually a pretty smart baserunner.

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

OK. So you didn't want him to go with Belinda, but you didn't want Drabek out there, either? Who was supposed to pitch? Leyland?

You have no idea what you are talking about, and no real argument, other than: "The Pirates LOST! Blame Leyland!"

I still encourage you to go in with some people here and get a group discount on comprehension.

8. outofplace

Seriously, are you just being intentionally dense as part of some kind of performance art thing? Because I have a hard time you are having this much trouble keeping up.

I said he shouldn't have brought in Belinda with men on base. Belinda was erratic, but he really struggled to pitch with runners on. If you had a clue about the '92 Pirates, you would know that. If you had actually bothered to read my posts rather than just looking for an excuse to rant, you would know that. I have pointed it out more than once.

If he was going to use Belinda, he should have let him start the inning. Better he should have gone to Bob Walk, who was rested enough to throw an inning and did end up warming up in the bullpen during that inning.

9. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Wow, it only took 57 posts for you to get back to Bob Walk coming into the game.

In case you haven't gotten the point yet, I just think you are a dumbass for blaming Leyland for the team's failure to win the game. We can go around and around like this for the brief amount of time left here, and you'll still be a dumbass for making that argument.

Should he have pulled Drabek? Definitely with a good pen. With the Pirates' pen, I'm not so sure.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I feel as if we're in the middle of Speed.

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I have to go 55 mph, or the bus will explode. Speaking of which ...

12. outofplace

And there you go right back to the personal attacks because you have nothing else.

It took you this long to even come close to understanding my point, which makes your point of view on who is a dumbass pretty damn comical. You still don't get it, but you're closer. I guess that is something.

If you don't think Drabek was toast, well, you either weren't watching or you were incapable of understanding what you were watching.

My point was that if Leyland was going to use Belinda, he needed to do it to start the inning. If he was going to give Drabek a chance to pitch the ninth on fumes, he needed to have somebody more capable of pitching out of trouble, and that was Walk.

And you still don't get that I never said Leyland was totally to blame. I brought up Lind's error in my first post on this thread.

But hey, at least you stopped trying to read my mind. Maybe you finally realized how much of an ass you were making yourself by trying.

You tried to say I make this argument because Leyland was surly. Hell, I like Leyland and I don't give a damn about surly.

You tried to say it was hindsight even though I said Leyland was making a mistake as I watched the game.

You think I'm a dumbass? Given your performance on this thread, your opinion is about as meaningful as a bumper sticker, but less interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.