1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Van Slyke: Barry Bonds Cost Us The 1992 NL Pennant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Maybe. But then I recall the Pirates bench and bullpen, and I say maybe not.

But Leyland is surly at times, so it must have been his fault all three years the Pirates did not advance to the World Series.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please don't try to read my mind. You suck at it.

I love Leyland's attitude. Always have. I'm actually a fan of his overall.

That said, he botched a few decisions in the 1992 series, especially that 9th inning. The series was there for the Pirates to win. They just had to hold a two-run lead in the 9th inning of Game 7. Leyland's mistakes were one reason that didn't happen.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Were you trying to sound like Erin Brockovich there?

4. outofplace

I don't have the cleavage to pull off that role.

My point stands. You are trying to discredit opinions that disagree with yours by making up motivations for them, and you are failing miserably. Do better.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I'd argue a lot harder if I gave much of a crap about what people here think of Leyland. But I don't.

You will, of course, spin that into victory. But I don't care much about that, either.

Also, you are one of the many who don't see the difference between fact and opinion. You fit the profile of those who think surly manager/coach = bad manager/coach.

6. outofplace

Saying that Leyland deserves a share of the blame for the Pirates losing in 1992 is not the same thing as saying he is or was a bad manager. I'm not sure why that is so hard for you to grasp, but it apparently is well beyond your capacity.

Did I say he was a bad manager? No, I did not. But hey, why should you start letting accuracy get in your way now?

I fit the profile? So, never mind that I like Leyland, right? Never mind that I tend to defend Barry Bonds quite a bit around here because I never gave a damn that he was an asshole. I don't fit that profile at all, but again, accuracy doesn't seem to be your strong point.

Let me give you a little hint. When you get something wrong the first time, repeating it over and over again doesn't suddenly make you right. You lost the moment you advanced the idiotic theory that anybody who dares to criticize Jim Leyland must hate him for being surly on occasion.

I think Leyland was a fairly good manager with the Pirates. He did what he was supposed to do with the Marlins, not fuck things up the year they bought the World Series. Since then? Well, he did quit on two teams. You be the judge.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I would say the Marlins quit on him.

8. outofplace

I can see that, too. Seems like it was a bit of both. I understood why he did that. Had to be miserable watching the Marlins dismantle that World Series team so quickly after having gone through the same shit in Pittsburgh.

But hey, fuck him. Didn't you know that I hate the guy for being surly? It must be true. Martin said so. He even repeated himself just to be sure. :)

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Leyland is a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame.

That's what we keep hearing around here.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/leylaji99.shtml

::) ::) ::)

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Christ. Watching those old TWIB Mel Allen highlights in the bottom of the 9th inning, if Ronnie Gant gets another few feet on that fly ball over Bonds it is a replay of the shot heard round the world.

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

You need to improve reading comprehension. Maybe you and some others could get a group rate.

First statement:

"But Leyland is surly at times, so it must have been his fault all three years the Pirates did not advance to the World Series."

Second statement:

"You fit the profile of those who think surly manager/coach = bad manager/coach."

The second statement was sort of a blanket statement aimed at the masses here who circle the wagons childishly whenever a coach or manager responds "poorly" to a question. Notice Leyland's name is not mentioned specifically.

Also, notice the differences, also known as lack of repetition.

The idea of him quitting on the Marlins is another silly one that's thrown around here by the Leyland-bashers.

For the record, I have no opinion on Leyland either way. I just think the revisionists here are silly.

Now I'll let you get back to your battle with PG&E.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Look at Dusty Baker's bio on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.