1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Rooney, 60 Minutes, on sports nicknames

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 16, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How Rooney still has that job is beyond me...this was a pretty good 60 Min episode, with the Bush interview plus the Duke parents. Then they close the hour with that drivel. It just doesn't make sense.

Of course it's my fault for watching. I need to consider that show 56 Minutes and move on to something else.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Like most all the others. ::)

I used to like Rooney, and once in a while he's still OK, but the huge, huge majority of the time it's like he's doing an unintentional Roseanne Roseannadanna imitation.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I think he's like a lot of older columnists -- older readers (or viewers) love to see that they're still at it, but nobody really pays any attention to the actual work.

4. When covering lacrosse, don't call them lax men, because when they give up the sport, they would be exlax men. ;)

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

On the other hand, Frank Caliendo's imitation of Andy Rooney was pretty good.

6. They'll keep him on until he's dead. Yes, he sucks, but I'm guessing he's enjoyed by the oldtimers who would freak if he was taken off the show.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He's familiar. People like that.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Andy Rooney would have jumped the shark 20 years ago but he was too old to even then.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

lacrosse hotbeds? I guess it's an East Coast thing.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Claws, you really have no idea. It's bigger than baseball in some areas, especially in the participation areas. Hell, they play the Final Four in the stadiums that the Eagles and Ravens play in, and draw well over 40,000 fans.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

"For those of you expecting to see '60 Minutes' .... "

I imagine those are the same old people who must be racked with confusion because Rally's claims it has different orders on the left and right drive-thrus ...

12. T2

T2 Member

I suppose I read newspapers incorrectly, because I often miss the little "NHL Roundup" headers and start with the headline of the actual story. There have been a number of times that I've casually read how XSU overcame a cold-shooting first half by outscoring ZSU 40-15 in the second half to improve to 6-2 in the conference, only to find out in the fourth paragraph (when the top scorer was identified as Lisa Smith) that I was reading about women's basketball.

I'm not in the print business, but shouldn't the lead mention the sport? Otherwise you're relying on the "Women's Hoops" header, which is external to the story, to impart that information.

Draft saved Draft deleted