1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Reid's son found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Anyone who doesn't think kids are affected by Andy Reid's dedication to his work needs to read the opening on Wright Thompson's Urban Meyer story.

I'll bet that rings true with 99.9 percent of the major college football coaches and their assistants.
    Heck, with anyone with a family that is really, passionate and driven to be the best in their field.

I'm no Andy Reid. Urban Meyer. Heck, I'm no Wright Thompson - not even close. When we had kids, my career aspirations took a backseat. I'm there for my kids.
    I'm not the best dad in the world. The state. Or the county. But I am there.
    My kids may fall into the trappings of addiction, but it won't be because of an absent parent.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was the same way. I'm not a perfect parent and my kids aren't perfect either, but I don't ever have to miss a baseball or football game and I'm at every parent-teacher conference and doctor's appointment and that's more important to me than career aspirations.

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right that even then it is his business. I was thinking of the advice I've heard that if you try not to grieve it will come out some time down the road and likely in very bad ways, so for his own well-being he should not try to run from it. But agree, that is his own decision to make.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Amy, with all due respect, everyone grieves differently. A day off, a week off, a month off, no time off, who's to say what's best for Andy Reid EXCEPT Andy Reid? He feels that he's ready to go on with his life and profession and there really shouldn't be any debate about it. It's ludicrous. He's obviously doing what he loves to do with the blessing and acceptance of his family. That's good enough for me. God bless him.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

A very good friend of mine had problems with drug use from the time we were 17 up until the time he killed himself. I will always believe that addiction is a disease.

The best description I ever heard of addiction was when Robert Downey Jr., said "it's like I have a loaded gun in my mouth and I love the taste of it."

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's also why it's an unfair question.

No one can answer it but him, and perhaps immediate family or those closest to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted