1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Reid's son found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 5, 2012.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Opiate addiction is a hell of a thing to deal with. I just hope the Reid family gave him the best possible treatment money could by. Would hate to hear that the kid was left to pray away his demons or something like that.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

There's nothing you can say. My wife's grandfather died on the day they brought her youngest son (my wife's father) home from the hospital, then my wife's grandmother ended up burying both of her sons after they died in separate farm accidents. I remember at the last funeral, she looked like she was already dead. She lasted about 3 months longer, and I doubt she ever smiled or had a peaceful night sleep during that time.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very sad, but unfortunately, not entirely surprising given his past... RIP...

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I could never ever imagine the pain of burying one of your children.

5. So did he OD? Or did he die from "natural causes," related to his former lifestyle?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

A report is due out this morning.

7. Mizzougrad96

It's amazing how often this seems to happen with NFL coaches, the bulk of whom I'm guessing are not winning any father of the year awards... I'm not saying Reid is to blame for his son's death any more than Joe Philbin or Tony Dungy were to blame. I know of quite a few assistant coaches who have dealt with similar tragedies, usually due to drugs or suicide or even both...

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shit happens Mizzou. Death is a reality. Before throwing around blame, and I'm not saying that you are, let's see what the autopsy results say.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm still trying to think of a scenario where drug use (past or present) would not be a factor.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I can think of several scenarios. Before passing judgment, wait on the autopsy results.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mizzou is correct about one part -- NFL and college coaching is a bitch on family life. Dad simply isn't home for six months out of the year, and unless you get lucky and get very established, you're moving every 1-2 years.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I remember in one of the early Madden books, he confessed to be an absentee dad because he was coaching all the time. I thought that was a very interesting thing to include in a comedy/sports book of sorts. Also, there has a lot written about strains between Lombardi and his son. Many times, the flesh and blood can't compare to the athlete-pseudo son.

I guess the same can be said of any son of a famous dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted