1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Reid's son found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 5, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Garrett Reid, son of Eagles coach Andy Reid, found dead in a dorm room at Lehigh where the Eagles conduct training camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/05/garrett-reid-found-dead-at-eagles-training-camp/

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow. RIP. CBS doesn't have much more - yet. I suspect this will be updated numerous times by multiple outlets

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19731217

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Autopsy will be performed. No foul play reported by Lehigh police. The kid looked like he was trying to turn his life around. RIP

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ugh. God bless it... he loved his kids and tried to turn their lives around. There's a time and a place for football, but that will be later.

RIP to Garrett and my condolences to the family.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son is 29. I just spent a week with him at the beach. We're going out to dinner tonight for a "pre-going-back-to-work celebration." I cannot imagine him going before me. I just can't. I really feel for Andy Reid and his family.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Obviously not the top concern now, but I can't imagine how he coaches this season. I'm sure the "he would have wanted him to coach" sentiment will come out, and maybe coaches are just wired that way, to move on no matter what else is going on.

The thought of burying one of my kids is the kind of thing that wakes me up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.

I know that family has had its demons, but no matter what the circumstances were, I feel for that whole family. That's horrible.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Andy Reid is a tough bird. He's going to take some time off to be with the family, then come back hard. The players believe they are on the crest of something special this season and will use this as added motivation.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here's the latest info.
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My dad, at 75, buried my 53-year old brother. Dad died a decade later, but he was never the same guy -- his joy of life was severely limited. I imagine it would be even worse for younger people.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

My grandfather buried two daughters. Well, one he never buried, she was murdered in the Holocaust. The second was his and my grandmother's eldest daughter. (He was married to another woman beforehand, she also died in the camps.)

The most amazing thing about my grandparents was that they never let it ruin their lives. There was a tremendous pain, but they tried to keep it as private as possible. They smiled, they laughed, they tried to live their lives.

That's the only thing the Reids can do.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Garrett Reid had his demons - - but from all reports he had dealt with them and was turning his life onto a positive track. Now at 29, he is gone.

RIP and condolences to the remainder of the Reid family.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My. Est friend just buried his 31 year old brother this week. His uncle as killed in a power plant explosion a couple years ago and his father died 12 years ago. Their grandmother says to me "I've lost both my sons and now one of my grandchildren. I'm 80 years old. Why am I still here?".

Broke my heart. I was speechless. What can you say when someone that young dies?

Draft saved Draft deleted