1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Pettitte

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 24, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

OTOH, the Orioles couldn't finish the International League in the money

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Down in St. Petersburg, the Rays have moved out Edwin Jackson (he was the weakest link -- good-bye!) to make room for David Price, a much better pitcher and there's more solid young pitching -- Jeff Niemann and Mitch Talbot, most notably -- coming up (along with Price) from last year's Durham Bulls.

I am not convinced that moving Chamberlain into the rotation is a good move for the Yankees or Chamberlain. The Yankees should be looking at Joba as their post-Rivera closer (Rivera is 39), but they're not.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All true . . . but the Schickelsteingrubbers want Joba to start, so damn the torpodoes.

The Tampa meddling never ends. Imagine this team if they had a couple of genuine
    personnel guys, who could operate without interference/meddling.

Fortunately for the rest of the AL, that's not the case.

4. The Rays are also rumored to be on the path to sign Giambi to replace Floyd as their DH. This would also be a significant upgrade for the Rays.

Using Win Shares as just a guidepost - the combo of Sabathia and Burnett is better by 2.5 games over Mussina and Pettitte while Teixeira represents a 3.5 game improvement over Giambi. That's just 6 games while the Yankees lost the AL East last year by 8 and this does not take into account the improvements noted above by the Rays. The Yankees are still a second or third place team no matter how much money they toss around.

And getting back to the original point of this thread - I think they are constrained by the CBA from throwing around any more significant money this offseason.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Maybe. Don't forget Abreu on one side, and Posada on the other. And Crisp, Bay for Manny for the whole season etc.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Win shares? Yeah, that's much better than the sizeable difference in ERA. You are also looking at only one season, which favors Mussina. There was nothing in recent seasons to suggest that he could come close to matching his 2008 production. You are also ignoring the fact that he is retired.

And really, you're going to try to argue that Teixeira isn't a big upgrade over Giambi? I've got a couple of fantasy baseball leagues that I'd love for you to join, and those don't even factor in the tremendous improvement defensively.

Ridiculous.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Uh, Guy, Bay for Manny over an entire season is not an upgrade...no matter how crazy Manny is.

8. Gehrig38

Gehrig38 New Member

A team with 2 power pitchers can dominate the post season. For that reason I would much prefer a tandem of CC and AJ over Moose and Andy.

9. outofplace

So would just about anybody. The other thing a few posters here seem to be forgetting is that Pettitte is 36 and Mussina is retired.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That was my point.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Funny that someone thinks he could take NIAFL champ Chris in fantasy baseball.

Very funny, but as usual, an empty contention from someone who never wants to make a wager to back up his contention that the 2009 season is over and everyone's playing for second behind the Yankees.

12. outofplace

Who said the 2009 season is over and everyone is playing for second behind the Yankees? I must have missed that. I guess it was one of the Yankees fanboys.

Draft saved Draft deleted