1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andy Pettitte

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 24, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You note that it may be too much to ask for Sabathia and Burnett to match their inning totals of a year ago, yet you make no mention of how difficult it would be for Mussina to match his performance of a year ago.

Mussina won no more than 15 games in the four seasons preceding last year's 20-win campaign and he had a 4.36 ERA in that span. It seems a safe bet that he would have come back to that type of level, thus making the additions of Sabathia and Burnett more significant.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Not that Sabathia is not a stud starter, but I wonder how much of his 2008 success was due to spending half a season in the National League.

3. EXACTLY. Sabathia would have to match Mussina's career best of 20 wins to even match what is being lost by the Yankees. Sabathia is Mussina with a gut and Teixeira is Giambi with a glove as far as the signings are concerned. The Yankees never won a World Series with Giambi and Mussina in their primes but tell me again why the Yankees should be looking to print playoff tickets?

Can someone answer my original question?

Thanks

4. bigpern23

I answered your original question in the second post.

5. bigpern23

Though, upon rereading it, I wasn't quite clear. Pettite doesn't have the Yanks over a barrel because they also lost Bobby Abreu, who was a Type A free agent. They can replace him, no matter who else they've signed already.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It definitely helped, but the guy did win the Cy Young Award pitching the entire 2007 season in the American League.

7. The number of type A free agents a club can sign this year is at max 3. However, a team can sign as many type A free agents as they lose. The Yankees will "lose" Abreu and maybe Pettite as type A free agents. Damaso Marte was also a type A but he was re-signed so he was not "lost". Mussina retired so was he really "lost"? Even if he counts because the re-signing of Marte - the Yankees have only lost 3 type A free agents which they have already used up with Sabathia, Burnett and Teixeira.

That leaves I-Rod as a type B. Are there any type B's out there would could help the Yankees pass the Red Sox or the developing Rays? Personally - I don't think so.

The Yankees are a house of cards. Baseball cards. Whose future is to inhabit 3rd place.

You did not answer my question.

8. outofplace

Sabathia is much more than Mussina with a gut. You are completely ignoring the difference in the combined ERA of the new arrivals (3.34) and what Mussina and Pettitte did last year (3.97). Part of that was Sabathia pitching a big chunk of the season in the NL, but that isn't all of it.

Also, looking at only one season rather than the career trend is a mistake and particularly unfair in evaluating Sabathia.

Your characterization of Teixeira is off, too. First of all, you mention the glove, but seem to dismiss its importance. Teixeira is a huge upgrade defensively for the Yankees.

More importantly, he is a much better hitter than what Giambi was last year. Giambi was in a better lineup in a ballpark that is built for left-handed power hitters and Teixeira had to adjust to switching leagues in mid-season. Teixeira was more productive across the board. Part of that was getting over 100 more at-bats, but durability is another part of what Teixeira brings. A batting average 62 points higher ain't bad, either.

This is more than a marginal upgrade.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Was it? I thought they were pretty good, better than most.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah b-b-b-b-but the Yankees are ruining baseball! The end is near! Nobody else can afford to compete! One hundred and twenty wins!

you and your fucking facts. Don't you know they have no place for the small-market chicken littles?

11. outofplace

Yes, a comparison of pitchers that ignores ERA and only looks at victories, one that has pretty much been dismantled by multiple posters. More comedy. I love it.

Bottom line once again for those who keep trying to distract us: The Yankees now have the four highest salaries in baseball, including the best pitcher and the best hitter in this year's free agent market.

The four biggest free agent contracts so far were all given out by New York teams.

How about those for facts?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course, you're not confident enough in your IT'S ALL OVER contention to make a money-less wager.

No surprise. Easier just to cry and whine and complain than take a stand.

Draft saved Draft deleted