1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andruw Jones: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 18, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Brooks Robinson too.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I would say no. Murphy's best six-year stretch (1982-1987) included two MVPs, five Gold Gloves, five seasons with more than 100 RBIs, five seasons with more than 30 home runs, two seasons with .300+ batting average and four seasons with .900+ OPS.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mazerowski, right?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Phil Rizzuto and Pee Wee Reese are in the HOF mainly because of their gloves. I'm sure there are more.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Mainly because the veterans committee more than their gloves.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    cyclingwriter2 and JC like this.
  6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

An interesting comparison:

Andrew Jones--2196 G (1996-2012), 434 HR, 1,289 RBIs, 152 SB, .254 BA, .823 OPS, 111 OPS+, 10 gold gloves, 2nd MVP, 2 World Series, 0 championships
    Jim Edmonds--2,011 G (1193-2010), 393 HR, 1,199 RBIs, 67 SB, .284 BA, .903 OPS, 132 OPS+, 8 gold gloves, 4th and 5th MVP, 2 World Series, 1 championship

Pretty equal, overall.

Then we look at advanced defensive metrics:

Jones-- 67 defensive runs saved, 128.8 ultimate zone rating
    Edmonds-- minus-7 defensive runs saved, 19.1 ultimate zone rating

Do I think Jones is a HOFer? Still not sure, but I realize now I didn't appreciate just how great he was in his prime.

7. 93Devil

How do these two rate under today's defensive metrics?

I heard Edmonds has to dive for a lot of balls many OFers catch in stride.

8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Am I reading this right....Edmonds, despite 8 gold gloves, was not that good defensively? Defensive stats are not my forte, so really am asking for an explanation.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I was just about to post -- it depends on your view of Jim Edmonds and to some extent what you think about Carlos Beltran.

When it comes to center fielders, the HOF voters have been very, very protective. The only ones elected to play since Mays' last game in 1973 are Dawson and Puckett and it's been 20 years since they played a game. Thankfully Griffey will add to that this year

Bernie Williams lasted two ballots. Kenny Lofton didn't make it to a second. I have no clue what the voters will do with Edmonds -- the early chatter isn't very good. Damon comes up in two years and would be on the ballot for the first time with Jones.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I would hope so. He's 45 years old for god sake!

12. 93Devil

I missed the metrics he posted, but it backs up what I remember hearing before anyone knew what war was; Edmonds made great catches, but he never really covered a ton of ground.

Eyeballs told people that before numbers.

Draft saved Draft deleted