1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andrew Marchand to ESPN Radio NYC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rufino, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Does this really help them? Seems like an odd move for both parties....

http://www.radiodailynews.com

Michael Thompson, 1050 ESPN Radio Program Director says that Andrew Marchand, who has spent the past nine years as a reporter for the New York Post covering a wide range of sports, has joined 1050 ESPN Radio in New York as its first-ever managing editor. Beginning March 5, Marchand will provide on-air reports to each of 1050 ESPN Radio’s programs and will also contribute extensively to the station’s web site, www.1050espnradio.com

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wow. This is huge news.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

does blue mean sarcasm. i hope? must've missed the memo.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It does.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

This should be interesting. Good luck to him.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good news for a great guy. But I thought he was sticking around the Post to become the next Mushnick.

And ESPN Radio in NYC ain't exactly the steadiest ship.

Hope it works out for him.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Damn straight, BYH. That's a nice way to put it.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That's an interesting job...

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Isn't that the station that blew out Tom Keegan?

Bad thing about that is Marchand will eventually get tossed out and he'll go back to newspapers. He's a good radio/TV critic, so someone will hire him to do that. Then he'll have to deal with the "he wanted to be in the broadcasting business but couldn't make it" horseshit.

10. First off, I like Andrew. He's a nice guy. I never thought of him as your typical Post scuzzbag (and I'm not naming names, but everybody knows who they are).

I'm guessing money was a powerful motivator here. Post reporters paid like shit in comparison to other New York reporters. I wish him good luck.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

He can do a memo and cc to himself.
    I like his stuff at the NYP, he doesn't lob softballs.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have no idea whether or not this will work, but Keegan & Mathews were about as bad as you can be this side of Russ Salzberg on the radio. They never talked about actual sports, spending most of their time talking about sports fandom (Is it OK to root for the Yanks & Mets? Should we boo? etc.).

Draft saved Draft deleted