1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andrew Luck retiring from NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There isn’t that much. It’s basically two sports personalities.

The ferocity of response toward them would make you believe there’s a lot of backlash, though. There isn’t.

What there is, is a rush to make this the exit of a hero. The NFL will do all it can to make it that, ESPN will, certainly the standard liberal news outlets will this week. I’m sure we’ll get some pontificating nonsense from Aaron Rodgers at some point. (Rodgers is a wonderful player, as gifted as they come, but he’s always resisted his role as a face of the NFL.)

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is there any NFL organization that does not lie about injuries? I presume the Colts lied because NFL teams lie all the time.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To extent they lied about this injury since 2015, they also lied to themselves, seeing as they gave him a 140 million contract in June 2016.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Something doesn't add up here. First of all, I guess the story that Luck told the Colts that he was retiring right before the game on Sunday is BS.

Secondly, I doubt the Colts are letting him keep the money out of the kindness of their heart. I would suspect, especially given the part I've bolded below, that Andrew might have a worker's comp claim/negligence lawsuit of some sort he could make...blaming the team for not protecting him? I dunno, but this just sees, odd.

Sources: Colts won't recoup money from Luck

Despite the fact that they could have recouped $24.8 million from their former quarterback, the Indianapolis Colts have reached a financial settlement with Andrew Luck and will not take back any of the money they are owed, league sources told ESPN.

The Colts essentially are telling Luck to keep it all, even though it is within their rights to reclaim the money.

The settlement was reached late last week, according to a source familiar with the talks
    Luck, 29, could have owed the Colts $12.8 million as a prorated portion of the $32 million signing bonus the Colts gave him when he signed his five-year extension in 2016, and another $12 million in roster bonuses he was paid in March. But Indianapolis waived its right to recoup the money and is allowing Luck to keep it all, after the poundings he has taken and all he has given to the franchise.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If the Colts had told Luck that they would not pay him anything what would their liability have been. I don't think an NFL team can stop paying an injured player by cutting him. They basically would have had to wait for Luck to have to be healthy enough to play and then they could cut him.

Given no one seems to know the extent of Luck's injuries the situation could drag on and Luck would draw the nine million he is supposed to earn on his salary in 2019. And if never plays again due to injury the Colts are on the hook for the signing bonus and at least this year's salary. At that point the amount he Colts pay basically becomes a push.

What am I missing?

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Gottlieb is taking an absolute pounding on twitter.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Good. That fucking idiot is easily replaceable and should have been shit-canned years ago.

garrow, 2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

28k comments vs. 9k likes ... they say that's the ratio for profoundly dumb tweets, right?

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Other reports showed that we was required to pay back a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I absolutely believe they were lying to themselves. They were like Homer Simpson chasing the runaway barbequed pig. "It's still good, it's still good." Just too awful for them to believe otherwise.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I suspect Luck might have gotten some different opinions from the doctors he was paying versus the doctors the team was paying.

Draft saved Draft deleted